Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pilot and Aircraft registration fee's. Illinois Department Of Transportation

Just so I understand, if I am a pilot, but don't own an airplane, I still owe this fee. They don't issue my license, so what recourse do they have if I don't pay?

First I never said i did not pay this or will not.

Name:  Idot Pilot taxe 3.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  98.0 KB Name:  IDOT pilot tax 4.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  98.5 KB
    Last edited by 1600vw; 06-22-2017 at 08:10 PM.

Is your aircraft airworthy? Or in a condition for safe flight.

Wow.... having to register if you have an airman certificate, but no plane. I am at a loss WRT snarky comments on this one....

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

If you are an inactive pilot, or don't fly in the state, you don't have to pay. If you do fly in the State of Illinois & don't pay the fee there is a fine &/or imprisonment if they catch you. If you are recording flight time in your logbook & aren't paying the fee you may have a problem if they find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    If you are an inactive pilot, or don't fly in the state, you don't have to pay. If you do fly in the State of Illinois & don't pay the fee there is a fine &/or imprisonment if they catch you. If you are recording flight time in your logbook & aren't paying the fee you may have a problem if they find out.
    This posting really was not about avoiding paying this tax, but about the tax itself. I am not sure how you came up with or concluded this post was about avoiding this tax?

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    This posting really was not about avoiding paying this tax, but about the tax itself. I am not sure how you came up with or concluded this post was about avoiding this tax?
    I was replying to the other questions posted about enforcement & penalties

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    I was replying to the other questions posted about enforcement & penalties
    Quote Originally Posted by jrb2 View Post
    Just so I understand, if I am a pilot, but don't own an airplane, I still owe this fee. They don't issue my license, so what recourse do they have if I don't pay?
    I missed that posting, sorry.

Tony

Illinois has had this charge on its books for eons. That it's directed at licensed pilots is what makes it unusual. For the amount involved, though, few complain about it and just pay it.

Many states have fees charged to aircraft owners, though. You've heard from several. FWIW, neither Colorado nor Wyoming, the two states I'm most familiar with, have any such fees. Both have sales (or "use") taxes that are incurred when an airplane is purchased, but no other fees.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    Illinois has had this charge on its books for eons. That it's directed at licensed pilots is what makes it unusual. For the amount involved, though, few complain about it and just pay it.

Many states have fees charged to aircraft owners, though. You've heard from several. FWIW, neither Colorado nor Wyoming, the two states I'm most familiar with, have any such fees. Both have sales (or "use") taxes that are incurred when an airplane is purchased, but no other fees.

Cary
    Oh Illinois has those too when you buy an airplane new or used you pay Illinois tax on said purchase.