Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pilot and Aircraft registration fee's. Illinois Department Of Transportation

Pilot and Aircraft registration fee's. Illinois Department Of Transportation

I received a letter stating starting Jan. 1st 2017 airplanes and pilots must pay a registration fee. The aircraft registration fee's need to be paid every two yeas.

How Often Should I Register and What is the fee:

Registration is for a two year calendar cycle. Each cycle begins Jan. 1st on all even years and expires Dec. 31st of the following odd year. Renewal notices are mailed in Oct. prior to the start of the next cycle. When registering within the first year of the cycle the fee is $20.00. Registering in the second year of the cycle the fee is $10.00. Checks made payable to the State Treasurer of Illinois.

Do all states charge these taxes? They even state in this if you own an ultralight you must pay these taxes. In order to receive the benefits of registration. What Fing benefits are they talking about. The safety Seminars? Wings Program Maintenance Seminars, Ultralight and Light sport Seminars, One-night safety Seminar. This is what they say this money is for. Seems like we already pay taxes for these things in one way or the other.

Why do I feel like I am being robbed by the state of Illinois?

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Why do I feel like I am being robbed by the state of Illinois?
    Because you are?

No such registration in Nebraska, and no property tax on non-commercial aircraft. They wanted sales tax when I bought it, no surprise there. Other than that I pay zip to the State of NE. Heck, I can even file for a refund of gasoline tax on the mogas I buy to put in it.

Note: The fact the NE does not tax or register private aircraft is a little incredible to me, by the way. I'm sure it's an oversight. They'd probably tax my oxygen use if they had thought of it. MO is the "Show Me" state, NE is usually the "Tax Me" state.
    Last edited by DaleB; 06-22-2017 at 11:53 AM.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

In Virginia it's an annual $5 fee.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

$.01 per pound gross weight in Michigan

Washington state varies by aircraft type, but homebuilts are flat-rated at $35/year. In addition, we have to pay a "Use Tax" when we buy/build an airplane (equivalent to sales tax).

Ron Wanttaja

Ohio is $15 per seat per year.
    Joey Shreve
    Liberty Twp OH (near KHAO)
    Sport Pilot
    Check Ride May 30 2017

Usually no tax if you declare it "Unairworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I received a letter stating starting Jan. 1st 2017 airplanes and pilots must pay a registration fee. The aircraft registration fee's need to be paid every two yeas.
    Huh?? Starting Jan 2017?? Illinois has had these fees paid every 2 years for as long as I have been flying.

No fees, no taxes (except sales tax) in Texas.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

You get an outstanding newsletter a couple of times a year that is only 6 months out of date. These fees have been in place for decades. Used to be you had to put a sticker on your aircraft, an opportunity which most ignored. In case you haven't noticed, IL is worse than broke. You are aware of the 6.25% sales tax. If you owe it, pay it, as the state might not request it until after penalties have been assessed.