I received a letter stating starting Jan. 1st 2017 airplanes and pilots must pay a registration fee. The aircraft registration fee's need to be paid every two yeas.

How Often Should I Register and What is the fee:

Registration is for a two year calendar cycle. Each cycle begins Jan. 1st on all even years and expires Dec. 31st of the following odd year. Renewal notices are mailed in Oct. prior to the start of the next cycle. When registering within the first year of the cycle the fee is $20.00. Registering in the second year of the cycle the fee is $10.00. Checks made payable to the State Treasurer of Illinois.

Do all states charge these taxes? They even state in this if you own an ultralight you must pay these taxes. In order to receive the benefits of registration. What Fing benefits are they talking about. The safety Seminars? Wings Program Maintenance Seminars, Ultralight and Light sport Seminars, One-night safety Seminar. This is what they say this money is for. Seems like we already pay taxes for these things in one way or the other.

Why do I feel like I am being robbed by the state of Illinois?

Tony