Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Incorporating a used engine

In conjuction with Joe's excellent post, the question sometimes comes up "Can an engine that was on an experimental aircraft be put back in service on a certificated aircraft?".

The answer is "Yes" if compliance with FARs can be demonstrated. Some experimental aircraft owners have "kept their engine certificated" (their opinion, not the FAR's, see Joe's post) by having all work performed by an A&P and only PMA parts used in maintenance along with thorough documentation. This should theoretically allow the engine to be directly transferred to a certificated airframe.

However........an A&P must put his signature in the log book stating the engine meets all type certificate requirements and in the real world there may not be any A&Ps who would put their occupation on the line without a full disassembly of the engine to verify type compliance. This is a case where FARs run up against real-world prudence.

An experimental owner may wish to maintain their engine to FARs in order to maximize reliability, but attempting to maximize resale value by hoping to maintain the engine so it could be directly transferred to a certificated airframe is most likely not a possibility.
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 06-26-2017 at 08:29 AM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    I don't fly at night anymore. Too many close calls, the risk isn't worth it.

You're in good company there, Mr Berson:

Genesis 1New Living Translation (NLT)

The Account of Creation

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was formless and empty, and darkness covered the deep waters. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the surface of the waters. 3 Then God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 And God saw that the light was good.

Dark would be good if I had the ability to hover (like the "Spirit of God ", whatever that is)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Dark would be good if I had the ability to hover (like the "Spirit of God ", whatever that is)
    No offense intended, but that sounds like a person who has never piloted a helicopter in a night doppler hover three hundred miles southwest of Iceland and 85 miles from the nearest ship in January with 500/2 under a solid overcast and rain.... ....be cautious what skills you wish for.
    Last edited by Mike M; 06-29-2017 at 06:44 AM.

(not offended)
    How would you know the ceiling and visibility at night?
    I departed VFR from a remote Alaska airstrip at night with my brother once, and let him do the takeoff. At about 200 feet agl the landing light beam hit the low ceiling. I instantly took control and carefully leveled at 200 feet and returned for a landing. Lucky I knew the airfield.
    That's why I don't fly at night. (dark night)