Thread: When to go

When to go

Going to take the motorhome and stay for 3 nights. I would like to know which 3 nights would be the best (crowd wise) to go. Is there much difference in the crowd size from the beginning to the end of the event?

I would say after the night airshow on Wednesday, the attendance drops significantly, but so do the number of planes to see. Best days to be there, for me at least, is Sunday to Wednesday. Best day for plane watching is Saturday and Sunday, before the show.

Any particular events or forums you want to attend? If so, I would schedule around that and also the night air show if you've never seen it before. Check the schedule for all of the things going on, days, times, etc. There are a lot of people coming and going all through the week.
    Bob

Ditto on checking the schedule of events to set your dates around that. We usually attend Saturday thru Fri or Sat. Some of the bigger events happen on the closing weekend; as an example, the Blue Angels are only performing Friday & Saturday. I'll miss them this year (Fri PM flight), but have seen them enough I'm OK with it. Aside from scheduling your interests, I concur with mazda above about Sunday thru Wednesday.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

For the last several years, I've stayed from the Friday before until the Monday afterwards (last year, I think I was the last airplane to depart!). In terms of crowds on the field, they're still going strong through Saturday, if there's an air show drawing card on Saturday, such as the Blue Angels, Thunderbirds, or Snowbirds. The last Sunday gets pretty sparse by comparison.

Otherwise, I'd say make your plans based on what you want to see. You can't begin to see it all in "only" 3 days/nights.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Shocked

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    Otherwise, I'd say make your plans based on what you want to see. You can't begin to see it all in "only" 3 days/nights.
    I just took a first pass at scheduling the things I'd like to see this time around (my 2nd time at OSH, first time going the whole week), and I would expand that statement to say that there's no way to begin seeing it all even in the whole week. There's just so much.

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts/suggestions. After looking at the scheduled events, I believe I can arrive on Thursday and do all that I need to do this year.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCostello View Post
    I just took a first pass at scheduling the things I'd like to see this time around (my 2nd time at OSH, first time going the whole week), and I would expand that statement to say that there's no way to begin seeing it all even in the whole week. There's just so much.
    I've been going for the whole week since 1983, and I still haven't seen it all.
    Dave

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    I like to go earlier in the week because everything on the AirVenture grounds is freshly erected.
    After the Monday airshow there is the opening day concert.
    The grass is green and is standing up.
    The exhibits are polished and primped.
    You kinda get that new car feeling.

Come Thursday there are places on the AirVenture grounds that have been heavily walked upon.
    The grounds crew still does a great job making things look good.
    But that new car feeling is starting to fade.

Its kinda a dilemma, earlier in the week everything looks brand new.
    But later in the week the Airshow entertainment starts heating up.

If you are Warbirds fanatic Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday has the highest number of planes out in the Warbirds area.

A lot of times the weather dictates what days to go.