Thread: Sport Pilot medical

Sport Pilot medical

I was wondering about the medical requirements for a Sport Pilot license. Some articles I have read talk about needing only a drivers license. Others show a list of things forbidden. To cut to the chase, does cardiovascular disease disqualify me? Heart bypass surgery? If so, is there a work around?
    I am new to this interest. Forgive me if this is a dumb question.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    To cut to the chase, does cardiovascular disease disqualify me? Heart bypass surgery?
    Nope. If you're healthy enough to get a driver's license, you are legal to fly...

IF you have not had your most recent FAA medical denied, revoked or suspended or an SI withdrawn, and IF yo don't "know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make [you] unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner".

It's up to you and your doctor(s) to decide if you're safe to fly.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Nope. If you're healthy enough to get a driver's license, you are legal to fly...

IF you have not had your most recent FAA medical denied, revoked or suspended or an SI withdrawn, and IF yo don't "know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make [you] unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner".

It's up to you and your doctor(s) to decide if you're safe to fly.
    I am someone who has never had a FAA medical. Ever.

Then, if you think you're OK to fly, and your docs agree, you're good to go.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

As a Sport pilot, 47 years old, never attempted 3rd class medical (required for Private Pilot). I have a valid Drivers License and got my Sport Certificate. Basically according to:

Long-standing FAA regulation, § 61.53, prohibits all pilots — those who are required to hold airman medical certificates and those who are not--from exercising privileges during periods of medical deficiency. The FAA revised § 61.53 to include under this prohibition sport pilots who use a current and valid U.S. driver's license as medical qualification. The prohibition is also added under §§ 61.23 (c) (2) (iv) and 61.303 (b) (2) (4) for sport pilot operations.
    You should consult your private physician to determine whether you have a medical deficiency that would interfere with the safe performance of sport piloting duties.
    Joey Shreve
    Liberty Twp OH (near KHAO)
    Sport Pilot
    Check Ride May 30 2017