Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NTSB issues 5 New Safety Alerts for GA Pilots & Mechanics

Banned

NTSB issues 5 New Safety Alerts for GA Pilots & Mechanics

The NTSB issued five new safety alerts today that aim to highlight the five most frequent errors that cause general aviation accidents. "We see the same types of accidents over and over again," said NTSB Chairman Deborah Hersman. "What's especially tragic is that so many of these accidents are entirely preventable." These 5 are the first 5 contained in:
    http://www.ntsb.gov/safety/safety_alerts.html

Oye! Interesting that there were several accidents that were mechanical in nature. However, in a couple of cases, the mechanical problem was a warning that wasn't taken seriously enough. Human nature sure does get in the way of making the proper decision.

David

NTSB is "helping"

My thoughts on the subject, link below.
    (I posted this on a couple of other forums so please excuse the duplication - I thought it relevant to a wide audience)

http://iflyblog.com/2013/03/17/ntsb-...in-a-good-way/

Brent Owens
    RV-8 'Contrary Mary' - Flying
    www.fixedwingbuddha.com

Quote Originally Posted by iFLYblog View Post
    My thoughts on the subject, link below.
    (I posted this on a couple of other forums so please excuse the duplication - I thought it relevant to a wide audience)

{ I copied and pasted this from another forum that I posted this on}

No owner maintenance on experiments (listen up guys – 30,000 airplanes in the system are experimental)......Copied from article.....

No one but me is working on my airplane. A&P's know very little about HB. I have had to deal with this on every condition inspection. I am not only telling these people what needs to be done but I have to show them the REGs.

You are all wet on this one. HB and a GA A&P do not work good together. Now if you have a HB A&P that is trained in nothing but HB then let that person have at it, but a GA A&P is not qualified to work on these HB IMHO. I have had to show these GA A&P's to much.

They even believe you need an IA to do a Condition inspection. Ask any of them, they will tell you you do. Now I am sure a few know better, but they are few and far between.

Great example I am going through this right now. I just removed my prop and was reinstalling it. The A&P walked by and asked me what I was doing and how I was doing it.

I said I am reinstalling my prop. He said what are you torqueing those bolts too. I said 200 Inch pounds. He said, he will not sign it off for its not correct. I again had to show him on the Props website what it said about torque on this bolts. He again said..its not right.

I let him rage, and went about doing what I was doing. I WILL NOT BE DOING IT ANY OTHER WAY. I care less if he signs anything or not.

No one but me touches my airplane..I do want to live.....

You do know mechanic induced failures are one of the biggest reasons for accidents in the GA community?

Just like all pilots are not qualified to fly all airplanes, all A&P's are not qualified to work on all airplanes. You, as the owner, need to do a better job of finding someone qualified to help you with your type airplane. Or better yet, go get your A&P so you can legally do the work yourself.

Fly safe,

Dave Tyndall, A&P/IA

Quote Originally Posted by wacoc8 View Post
    Just like all pilots are not qualified to fly all airplanes, all A&P's are not qualified to work on all airplanes. You, as the owner, need to do a better job of finding someone qualified to help you with your type airplane.
    I've had three A&Ps over the years, only the first one had any experience with wood construction beyond A&P school (the one that had had graduated from A&P school in 1950....). Been lucky with the other two, they seemed kinda tickled to be working the stuff again and we had some nice discussions about how Fly Babies go together.

Ron Wanttaja

Or better yet, go get your A&P so you can legally do the work yourself.

Fly safe,

Dave Tyndall, A&P/IA

I do not need an A&P certificate to do the work " legally" on my plane. My grandmother can work on my plane " legally " if she wants to. Anyone can work on a HB Experimantal.

Did I just say that to an A&P IA....No way

Fly Smart
    Last edited by 1600vw; 03-17-2013 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I do not need an A&P certificate to do the work " legally" on my plane. My grandmother can work on my plane " legally " if she wants to. Anyone can work on a HB Experimantal.

Did I just say that to an A&P IA....No way

Fly Smart
    True, you can work on your airplane all you want....legally. But you need the A&P to APPROVE your work when he/she does your condition inspection. The A&P is accepting responsibility for your work.
    Good luck.

Dave

True, you can work on your airplane all you want....legally. But you need the A&P to APPROVE your work when he/she does your condition inspection. The A&P is accepting responsibility for your work.
    Good luck.

Dave
    Dave you are so correct. This is why I had to make sure he understood where I was coming from. I mean no disrespect to anyone for stating what I did. I have a lot of respect for those whom train and get the certificates they do.

Nothing on my HB is certified, a A&P has a very hard time dealing with this. Most will not even touch them, the ones I know anyway.

Not many A&P's even know an IA is not needed for a condition inspection. We went round and round about this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Nothing on my HB is certified, a A&P has a very hard time dealing with this. Most will not even touch them...Not many A&P's even know an IA is not needed for a condition inspection.
    why are many A&Ps are reticent to sign off on homebuilts? 'cause they're poopheads? 'cause they're uneducated?
    CFR 14 pt 65.81 General privileges and limitations.(a) A certificated mechanic may perform or supervise ... However, he may not ... approve and return to service, any aircraft or appliance, or part thereof, for which he is rated unless he has satisfactorily performed the work concerned at an earlier date.

when a potential customer presents a one-off (and all E-AB aircraft are one-off) aircraft, with a non-certificated engine and prop combination, including non-certificated and/or non-traceable parts in critical places, with amateur or no engineering data and no FAA-reviewed maintenance manual, the certificated mechanic should say - what? "heck, yeah, git'er dun"?????

there are safe ways through the maze but for many folks with a career invested in gaining a certificate and a wife and kids to feed, the easiest answer is "i'm not allowed to do that."