Thread: Basicmed one time cert.

Basicmed one time cert.

My last 3rd class medical expired in 2014. Unfortunately, I had a heart attack in 2013. Two stents installed. No real trouble since. I am now 69 yrs old. I am finishing an airplane rebuild and I want to fly it legally.

Does anyone know what would normally be required to get a one time certification for the heart issue under the basicmed ??

You go through the standard nut roll of a Special Issuance with an AME/FAA. Once granted, it's done forever unless your condition changes.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Same here Eric, haven't had a medical in too many years and have 4 or 5 stents. No heart attack but stents just the same. On another thread about Basicmed there was mention of a Dr. in Ill. or Oh. that specializes in Special Issuances.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    Same here Eric, haven't had a medical in too many years and have 4 or 5 stents. No heart attack but stents just the same. On another thread about Basicmed there was mention of a Dr. in Ill. or Oh. that specializes in Special Issuances.
    Bob
    That would be Dr. Bruce Chien. Most definitely have him look over your medical history BEFORE you apply for the SI. Aeromedicaldoc.com.
    Last edited by DaleB; 06-19-2017 at 07:47 AM.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

I have a couple friends in the same boat. Because of health issues they really should not fly, alone. I told them they are perfect for a flying club. Then always fly with a friend who is a pilot. They get air time and are never alone but with another pilot if something goes wrong. Now can they fly the family on vacation, no. But they can go and burn some holes into the sky. I tried to start a club for these men but have been knocked down, but maybe not out on this. I am still working on it. When I mention this I see their eye's light up. Thing is, some day this will be all of us. I hope someone steps up and offers to help when the day comes I can not longer go up alone. This is what friendship is about. Good people and airplanes. Does not get any better.

I hope for all those in this place in life today you find a friend or two like this. I wish I could be that friend.

Tony

P.S. Dr. Bruce is in Peoria IL.
    Last edited by 1600vw; 06-19-2017 at 05:44 AM.

That’spretty special Tony, we need someone on our side. I asked about starting a flying club at the local airport and they said they didn’t think it was a good idea. They even said it was “Frowned” upon! It’s a nice airport, plenty of open end hangers, 6000 ft runway but NO traffic. I would fly there and practice takeoffs and landings when I got my tailwheel endorsement. Frowned upon, frowned upon, really ??? The only reason I want my medical back is because there are plenty of private license airplanes to rent within a 40 mi. radius and only 3 Sport Pilot planes to rent within 200 mi. I learned to fly in a 150 and got my PPL in 1974 but just because I let my medical expire I’m no longer qualified to fly that plane. But, at 70 years old, blind in one eye I can drive a 30,000 lb RV down the interstate without any instruction !!! Anyway, I do have a friend that goes with me when I want to fly anything besides the Champ. Did 2 hrs and 6 landings on Fathers Day.
    Bob
    Last edited by robert l; 06-19-2017 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    That’spretty special Tony, we need someone on our side. I asked about starting a flying club at the local airport and they said they didn’t think it was a good idea. They even said it was “Frowned” upon! It’s a nice airport, plenty of open end hangers, 6000 ft runway but NO traffic. I would fly there and practice takeoffs and landings when I got my tailwheel endorsement. Frowned upon, frowned upon, really ??? The only reason I want my medical back is because there are plenty of private license airplanes to rent within a 40 mi. radius and only 3 Sport Pilot planes to rent within 200 mi. I learned to fly in a 150 and got my PPL in 1974 but just because I let my medical expire I’m no longer qualified to fly that plane. But, at 70 years old, blind in one eye I can drive a 30,000 lb RV down the interstate without any instruction !!! Anyway, I do have a friend that goes with me when I want to fly anything besides the Champ. Did 2 hrs and 6 landings on Fathers Day.
    Bob
    The heck with wether they like the idea of a flying club !!! Do it anyway they have no say in the matter. As the past president of KMFV Flying Club I would be happy to assist any way I can.

Randy Powell