Thread: Cuba Flights

Cuba Flights

Has anyone flown their own airplane to Cuba,? Will the new restrictions just announced today prevent going by private plane?
    My Son visited 3 years ago and liked it . He found the people friendly and with a positive attitude toward the U S and hoping for further contacts with us. He thought the food was good, fresh vegetables and lobster and very cheap, under $10 for lunch. He likes spicy and doesn't mind pretty basic accommodations if the price is right.
    The only conflict he had with police, or govt was for walking on the grass where prohibited, which was resolved.
    There was someone doing a forum at EAA last year on visiting Cuba, I recall him saying not expect the kind of service one finds here. They do have a number of airports and a one or two good hotels and others like the Canadians have been visiting all these years when the U S has been on the outs with Castro.
    Its another country, but only 90 miles from Florida, about the same as Nassau. I have flown to the Bahamas twice, was pretty easy, and the shortest way was about 75 miles over water.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    They do have a number of airports and a one or two good hotels and others like the Canadians have been visiting all these years when the U S has been on the outs with Castro
    One or two good hotels?? Huh? There are hundred's of beautiful resort hotels from 3-5 star on the north and southside beaches as good as or better than any other Caribbean island hotel resorts. Tourism is one of the two major economic drivers(agriculture the other). Huge investments in Cuba tourism from numerous western countries.

No desire to privately fly to Cuba, much cheaper and much simpler for me to take Air Canada. Like you, I too once flew to the Bahamas in the 70's, Ft. Lauderdale to Grand Bahama Island, 62 miles I remember.

I have not been to Cuba and was not the one doing the forum at EAA. Maybe he will be doing it again this year, and you can be there to correct him. Just for curiosity I looked up luxury hotels in Havana and got a 4 starone, says "luxurious compared to other ones in Cuba", Tripadvisor quotes a customer, hot water problems in the shower, and " compares favorably with a 2 star or 3 star hotel in the U S.

I highly doubt Cuba is open to GA flights from anywhere, let alone the USA.

Remember, for all the bluster about Cuba's government opening up and being a paradise (if only the USA wasn't holding it down), travel to and from the island is closely controlled by the government.

One might be able to get permission to fly to Cuba in a privately owned aircraft, but only if one has serious connections with not only the US State Department but the Cuban one as well.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Frank, there is a lot of tourism into Cuba. There are regular airline flights from Canada, Mexico, probably Grand CaYman or Bahamas, etc. I know people who have gone via airline, not directly from the U S but through a connecting country like Mexico. This was the situation a few years back, then it was about 2 years ago when Pres Obama lessened restrictons, reopened the U S embasy there, and I assume the Cuba one in D.C. There have been U S airline fligths direct to/from Cuba in the last year or two, I think American is one, and United right now has service to Havana but you have to go through Newark.
    As for the govt controlling all travel, look you may not like their govt, but even Communist these days can count and they know the power of an American Express card in the hands of tourist from first world contries. They were all for the people I knew who visited.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 06-18-2017 at 07:56 PM.

As for Gen Av to Cuba, I heard a lecture couple of years ago about flying our planes to Cuba. I recall 3 things he said, 1 Cuba has a number of airports on the island, 2. There are 1 0r 2 first class hotels in Havana, and the rest are not up to what a U S tourist would expect, 3. The quality of service is often indifferent . I am almost certain this forum was at EAA, since the other place would be AOPA and they havent done their convention in a few years.
    I am fairly sure that a year or two ago I read on another forum about a few people who had flown gen av planes to Cuba, though I dont have that source now or any details, just recall that it seemed to go smoothly.

As for our govt, at least up till the latest decree, US citizens are allowed to go most anywhere, Vietnam even N. Korea. Lack of human rights doesnt stop Americans from visitng and even doing business with Saudi Arabia or Russia or China or Philippines. I think you can even buy airplane tires made in Nam, which are much better than the ones from China.

Bill, I found this on flying GA to Cuba:

http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/arti.../#.WUmLi-vythE

So, Havana would be your point of entry. I wouldn't want to have to deviate or divert, though.

And as always, Americans can get into bad shape by being in the wrong place at the wrong time in totalitarian countries. Hook up with a tour group.

Or better yet, go to Puerto Rico. No passports, great place to visit, and it's still part of the USA.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

If you get the itch to fly your GA plane to Cuba, and figure out a way do it, check your insurance. Our AVEMCO insurance specifically excludes Cuba and any country south of Mexico.

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle
    Current Project: Airdrome Aeroplanes Full Size Nieuport 17