Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Food at EAA Airventure?

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    LOL, No DaleB, I don't take it personally, I'm old school, I respect everyone's opinion. And I'm not tying to sway anyone I'm just saying HFLC has worked for me and my wife for 2 1/2 years and we love us some bacon ! There's plenty of info out there about KETO just in case anyone want to see for themselves. And Malexander, I have stayed at Sleep Hollow, they are good people.
    Bob
    My son is trying the Keto diet. Has a cup of coffee in the morning with a glob of butter in it. :: shudder :: I hope he lives long enough to figure out whether that's a good idea or not... I really enjoyed my high-protein, low-carb, high fat diet (complete with bacon and eggs) for a few years too. I was losing weight and getting in fairly decent shape. My wife is still doing it, more or less. Didn't work out so well long term for me though. I think a lot depends on your metabolism or whatever.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by malexander View Post
    We've become good friends with the Bartels family, the owners of Sleepy Hollow Farm campground. They've taken us to some of the nicest places in Oshkosh for some great meals.
    Well, don't leave us hanging...

Canned soup is healthy because you get the soup flavored water also, so don't need to carry as many cans of warm soda or yucky warm water to stay hydrated. The soup is 85°, not exactly cold. You guys are funny! Put it in a hot thermos if you must.
    The idea is to eat fast at any picnic table and get back to looking at airplanes. And if you get hungry at 7pm, good luck. I start at 7am and go back to camp at 10 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Canned soup is healthy because you get the soup flavored water also, so don't need to carry as many cans of warm soda or yucky warm water to stay hydrated. The soup is 85°, not exactly cold. You guys are funny! Put it in a hot thermos if you must.
    The idea is to eat fast at any picnic table and get back to looking at airplanes. And if you get hungry at 7pm, good luck. I start at 7am and go back to camp at 10 pm.
    7PM? That's when you cruise over to SOS Brothers. I've had a number of great conversations over there. I remember a French Woman who practically idolized me because I saw the first flight of her favorite aircraft (The C-5)...

I meant good luck finding anything after 6pm on site. If you go off airport for three meals each day then you miss much of the event.

edit,
    I wasn't sure where the SOS Brothers was located. Then I remembered they are within walking distance. Do they have healthy food?
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 06-14-2017 at 09:26 PM.

Hey Kyle, I was in Marietta this past week end. Gender reveal party, (a phone call would have sufficed and saved me a 580 mi. round trip.) But we did go to the Elevation Chophouse and Skybar at the Cobb County Airport. I asked our waitress what the elevation was and she had no clue what I was talking about. I looked it up on my phone and she wrote it down. 1040.4 ft. As far as Sleepy Hollow Camp ground, I was there in 2011 and stayed in one of the cabins. Kind of Spartan, two air mattress's and a table. But it had air conditioning !!! It's a long walk to the main AirVenture entrance but they will give you a ride and they have a nice bath house. All In all, I enjoyed my stay. Cooked lots of Brats and hamburgers. LOL
    Bob

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    For 2017 AirVenture, EAA will be operating the on-site grocery operations.
    They will be called “Red One Markets”
    Red One Market North (North 40)
    Red One Market Central (The Red Barn)
    Red One Market West (West Camp Store in Camp Scholler)
    Red One Market South (South 40)

“EAA-operated markets offer many benefits including a wider variety of fresh fruits and vegetables, local dairy and meat products, camping supplies, and lower prices comparable to local grocery and convenience stores.

These on-site grocery outlets are in close proximity to evening entertainment and amenities and will be a one-stop shop for various grocery needs. Other benefits for Red One Markets include: healthy snacks, frozen breakfast sandwiches and yogurt parfaits, ice, daily hot coffee and fresh donuts, beer and wine from the Camp Scholler locations, as well as AirVenture merchandise.

In past years when grocery operations were handled by outside vendors, proceeds from Red One Markets will directly support EAA programs.

Source

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Well, don't leave us hanging...

Haha..... I knew that was coming. Problem is, I don't remember the names of the places, they just take us there. I do remember one is just off the east end of rwy 09/27.

I should point out that Red One Market Central is the SCHOLLER Red Barn (not the Vintage one). This is where the camp store has been for years.

The South one is down in what we refer to as "Green Acres" in Vintage. It's an area that was reclaimed out of a corn field when they built the airport boundary fence (which chewed off a good hunk of the Vintage and Ultralight areas. Alas, much of the reclaimed space is to be used for overflow GAP parking (at least that is how it worked last year). Having some better facilities down in what we in Vintage call "Fondy" (after Fond du Lac) is a welcome addition. It's a long way up to civilization from there.

Small grocery stores on the grounds will help people who camp as many do, there used to be a small convenience store right west of what is now the warbird clothing and book store, but it was removed. It sounds like these will be good in some places, esp to the south but if you are near homebuilts and warbirds youd have to go out to north 40 for the store.
    I dont cook at EAA, I prefer vendors that prepare food on site.
    I see EAA is trying to improve the food, and it is a big job. Lets say I go to a college football game in Austin, 102,000 people come out to see the gentlemen of UT smite the heathens of A&M ( awful & messy) or at least they used to. One can get a good burger, a descent Bar B Q sandwich with real bar b q sauce, not the mayonnaise with garlic that I was offered last year at EAA,Brats and some Mexican food etc and dont have to drink Pepsi. Now is easier in one way because the people are concentrated in area and since they are there for perhaps 4 hours food is not as important if you were staying a week.
    Food at Sun N Fun seemed ok last time I was there but it is smalller then EAA Osh.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 06-15-2017 at 10:30 AM.