Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Food at EAA Airventure?

High fat being unhealthy is going the way of the telegraph if you've been paying attention to health news. I'm with you on the salads as I'm among the 0.00001% that tastes the bitterness in iceberg lettuce, and that's is about the only healthy option from the onsite vendors (I do eat non-iceberg salads). The Major Goolsby burger is big enough to fill you with no fries and no bun, or get a couple of brats, no fries, and don't eat the buns.

The absolute worst is the week with no ice tea. Why are there are no unsweetened drinks (fake or real sweetener) besides water? I can get by eating some cheese curds and fries in the mix, but I can't even choke down sweetened drinks.

Like others have mentioned, I still indulge some during the week, but walking several miles a day certainly makes up for a lot of that.

Ten replies and most are along the lines of just eat junk food for the week and bear it. If you are eating brats or hot dogs, the bun is probably heather than the meat. And I cant imagine anything less tasty than cold soup, there is likely a micowave somewhere on the field that can heat up soup ,and heating kilss any bacteria.
    Ill look for the restaurant with the cow when I go into town, I really like scallops, better than lake perch.
    Where is the Subway on the field? It might offer some change from burgers and brats?
    I like to have a good meal during the day, not only for nutrition, but just to take a break, get out of the sun and sit down and relax, rest for a half hour or so. Also I have met some interesting folks when sharing a table at the on field eating areas.
    And I realize that feeding 30,000 people in a day when they want quick and cheap food is not easy ,and EAA has made some effort in that respect.

There is a Subway near the confluence of Homebuilt Parking and Warbirds.

You have high-fat, high-cholesterol food, and you have a few healthier options. I visited the red barn grocery store over by Camp Scholler and found fresh fruit, veggies, milk, all kinds of good stuff there. There was one Subway that I found (sorry, don't remember its exact location). At least one of the food vendors had wraps with somewhat healthy contents. So you can eat fairly healthy at Airventure, but you will need to go a little out of your way to do so.

Ah, there you go... Kyle remembered where the Subway was located.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Why do most people give cholesterol a bad rap? Cholesterol numbers mean nothing unless you are consuming large amounts carbs and sugar. If your body doesn't have enough cholesterol it will produce it. The inflammation from carbs and sugar is what causes your arteries to clog. Now, you can always take the bus to shopping areas outside the venue. Did that one year and caught a ride back to the gate from a nice local fellow.
    Bob

As convenient as it would be for that to be correct, I do hope you won't take it personally if I take my cardiologist's advice and opinion more weight than yours. I'd like to avoid a second ambulance ride to the cardiac cath lab, and so far his way is working way better than my way did.

Well, it figures that this would turn into a low-fat vs low carb discussion . . . I'll just make one addition, Dale, how much nutritional science education does your cardiologist have? Might want to ask him next time you see him.

OK, two more, the bun is healthier than the meat, hah! White bread has just about zero nutritional value, but it'll sure provide you empty calories!

And to keep this on topic, a much wider selection of foods and beverages would be most welcome addition to OSH!
    Last edited by keen9; 06-14-2017 at 02:09 PM.

We've become good friends with the Bartels family, the owners of Sleepy Hollow Farm campground. They've taken us to some of the nicest places in Oshkosh for some great meals.

LOL, No DaleB, I don't take it personally, I'm old school, I respect everyone's opinion. And I'm not tying to sway anyone I'm just saying HFLC has worked for me and my wife for 2 1/2 years and we love us some bacon ! There's plenty of info out there about KETO just in case anyone want to see for themselves. And Malexander, I have stayed at Sleep Hollow, they are good people.
    Bob

Yes, it would be nice if there were more healthy options for food at Airventure, assuming your definition of "healthy" does not encompass burgers, deep fried foods, salt licks and ice cream. I suspect demand is lower and spoilage higher, and 80 or 90 percent of those buying probably eat like I look. But there are healthier choices there -- you just have to seek them out, not every vendor has them.

Quote Originally Posted by keen9 View Post
    Well, it figures that this would turn into a low-fat vs low carb discussion . . . I'll just make one addition, Dale, how much nutritional science education does your cardiologist have? Might want to ask him next time you see him.
    I haven't asked him. He is, however, the best SME I know when it comes to clogged up arteries, so I tend to take his advice as much as possible. He's got a good reputation and track record. He's also a lot more fit and healthy than I am, and he eats like he says I should, and the ambulance took me to him and not the other way around, so draw your own conclusions I guess. And to be more accurate, he doesn't make a lot of specific dietary recommendation other than to listen to the dietitians and therapists.

Now, I did ask the nurses, dietitians and therapists during my cardiac rehab visits. They actually had quite a bit of formal training in nutrition. One of my relatives was, until her retirement, a PhD nutritionist and a professor at CWRU. Should have paid more attention to cousin Jan, I guess. So far not a single one of them has recommended anything significantly different. Low saturated fats, low cholesterol, avoid sugars and processed foods as much as possible, whole grains are good for you, plenty of fish and veggies and so on. All I know is what I was eating for 50-ish years, and what the result was, and I've chosen to go with the opinions of the people with a proven track record. No matter what you eat, I think exercise and conditioning trumps most of it. If you exercise an hour or two a day you can get away with a lot of things that those who don't, can't.