Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did You Save Your $5 bucks yet?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilliamrose View Post
    I got spoiled by the old ones where actual flying occurred during the fly-in. And the cost was reasonable. Now it costs a bunch for admission, there's no flying of regular homebuilt and antique airplanes plus there's way too many people there for the sole purpose of trying to sell you something. I went into overload in 2003 and I probably won't go back.
    It's not at all productive, helpful or remotely relevant to come to unsubstantiated conclusions based on opinions and data that's 14 years old. $16.86 per day admission based on a weekly pass is hardly "a bunch".

Both homebuilts and antiques have been flying for the past few years in the pre show showcase and the main show.

I have never felt close to being overwhelmed by the crowds, the grounds are huge allowing for easily walking around without bumping into people. The only deep crowds occur at lunch time so go at 1pm instead of noon.

The aviation oriented exhibitors are not remotely aggressive and don't hard sell. That might only happen if you're in the market for a mattress or recliner.

I would add that if crowds are in one area - hop a shuttle and go to another one. The reenactors down by Warbirds always look a little 'lonely' and they have some great stuff to show and tell. During my off duty hours I wander the grounds and tour all the Hangars and tents - so that I can advise and direct shuttle passengers to points of some interest. Sure there are the non-aviation related hucksters/peddlers in the Hangars and the Fly Market, but they can also be part of the fun and the experience.

I can honestly say that AirVenture and the NRA annual Convention are two events I can count on to be filled with nothing but fine folks all sharing a common passion. That alone makes the trip worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    Hmmm. A classic example of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face. Sure there have been changes, but they're by no means all bad. To miss 14 years because one year wasn't to your tastes seems awfully extreme. At least 500,000 of my closest friends seem to disagree with you.

Cary
    Maybe. But after many years of going and seeing the changes 2003 was just the year I figured I'd been there and done that enough. It wasn't any one thing in any one year. It's just different than it was and I'm OK not going again. It's a long trip so it has to feel like it's worth the effort and expense. The multitudes of folks happily going every year mean very little to me, I'm old enough to make my own judgements and not follow the crowd.

Save 5 bucks, whoop te doo. So I can buy another 6 pack this year? Let members save $20-30 bucks by buying passes early, say in January and lowing it every month by $5.00 then that might be an incentive to get your passes early. I don't mean to sound negative, but saving $5.00 by buying my admission early isn't much of an incentive.

Dave in Missouri

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba72 View Post
    Save 5 bucks, whoop te doo. So I can buy another 6 pack this year?

Dave in Missouri
    5 bucks for a 6 pack? Of what?

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Water. Bought off-site from a non-EAA approved vendor, of course.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Water. Bought off-site from a non-EAA approved vendor, of course.
    $5 for 6 waters, you got ripped off.

Quote Originally Posted by cwilliamrose View Post
    Maybe. But after many years of going and seeing the changes 2003 was just the year I figured I'd been there and done that enough. It wasn't any one thing in any one year. It's just different than it was and I'm OK not going again. It's a long trip so it has to feel like it's worth the effort and expense. The multitudes of folks happily going every year mean very little to me, I'm old enough to make my own judgements and not follow the crowd.
    Well, yeah, most of us who go are old enough to go are old enough to make our own judgments, and most of us have to make a long and expensive trip to get there. But if that's too much for you, then save your money. Life is full of choices. My choice is to spend the money, fly my little bird there, and spend the whole week, meeting new friends, seeing old friends, and enjoying the greatest aviation spectacle on earth. When I can no longer fly there, I'll drive. Life's too short to voluntarily give up something that is so much enjoyment. Age and health will catch up to me soon enough--I don't want to give it up before that happens.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    I drink cheap beer. 4.99 a six pack here in Missouri

For me, $5 isn't near enough incentive to buy flightline passes early. I'd consider it if they were refundable, but I'm not prepared to waste the entire cost of a weekly pass if something happens at the last minute to prevent me from going............
    Rod Schneider
    RV-6 N164ME
    B-17F N3703G "The Movie Memphis Belle"
    B-17G N390TH "Liberty Belle"
    B-17G N3701G "Ye Olde Pub"
    Liberty Foundation