Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did You Save Your $5 bucks yet?

Banned

Did You Save Your $5 bucks yet?

Bought my weekly pass today so I'm officially on my way to Oshkosh once again. Yippy i o kiyay! Good wx and fair winds are all that's needed now.

You mean before they extend the deadline like they have every year?

At my age, I have decided not to buy early--too many possibilities of not being able to make it, and EAA's refund policy isn't very generous. I'd rather pay when I get there.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Banned
    I don't think about the deadline any longer. Because of the so called deadline, I just got use to buying the pass by the 2nd week of June for many years now so it's just a Pavlov dog sort of thing. And yes, they do extend the deadline every year. And yes, the refund policy is non existent.

For me, buying the pass at this time get's me in the mood to begin the anticipated excitement.

I saved more than $5, I'm not going.

Quote Originally Posted by cwilliamrose View Post
    I saved more than $5, I'm not going.
    I wish I could convince my wife to adopt your idea of saving money on a sale -- about things in general, not AirVenture.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

I got spoiled by the old ones where actual flying occurred during the fly-in. And the cost was reasonable. Now it costs a bunch for admission, there's no flying of regular homebuilt and antique airplanes plus there's way too many people there for the sole purpose of trying to sell you something. I went into overload in 2003 and I probably won't go back.

cwilliamrose -During the year there are a number of 'old style fly-in' events that take place at Pioneer Airport, across from the museum. Well worth attending. That said, looking at this in reverse and in consideration of your home State..... I doubt there are many Midwesterners like me who would travel all the way down to the Sunshine State only to visit Bubba Jack's alligator farm and then come home without making a pilgrimage to the Mouse or other major attractions...which ARE kinda pricey you'd have to admit.

In some ways I agree that AirVenture is a victim of its own success, but its still the only game in town if you want see and walk among this many GA planes and also ogle flying militaria and commercial aircraft, not to mention the daily airshows, forums, Theater in the Woods presentations etc.etc.etc on such a grand scale. Every State does have local smaller airshows and flying events that ARE low cost, low impact and fun events as well. I come every year for the spectacle and sheer joy of aviation in all its forms..and heck, I've never even been up in a small airplane but it soothes my soul each year just to be among them. Even viewed from my seat as a tram conductor.

Quote Originally Posted by cwilliamrose View Post
    I got spoiled by the old ones where actual flying occurred during the fly-in. And the cost was reasonable. Now it costs a bunch for admission, there's no flying of regular homebuilt and antique airplanes plus there's way too many people there for the sole purpose of trying to sell you something. I went into overload in 2003 and I probably won't go back.
    Hmmm. A classic example of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face. Sure there have been changes, but they're by no means all bad. To miss 14 years because one year wasn't to your tastes seems awfully extreme. At least 500,000 of my closest friends seem to disagree with you.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

I'm shocked, shocked. The early purchase discount has been extended to June 30!
    Last edited by PaulDow; 06-17-2017 at 08:50 AM.