Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AirVenture Schedule of Events

So I'll be able to fine "My Itinerary" from the website on the app? With all of the items that I added on the website?

I just reloaded the 2016 app to see. There is not even an option to logon, so I don't see how the above is possible. The SAME database, not a duplicate of the web database.
    Last edited by keen9; 06-14-2017 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Added info

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Okay, now I understand your question. The events database and your account on the website are two very different things. Unfortunately, the folks working on the app tell me that you won't be able to sync your specific itinerary between the web and the app, as there won't be any provision to login to the app.

Sorry for the confusion.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

I know building the app is an iterative process. The first year I tried it ('14, I think) it was utterly useless on my Android phone, supposedly because the phone was more than a year old. Last year it wasn't bad, although still disappointing that the itinerary that I worked so diligently to build on the web site was unavailable in the app. If that's going to remain the same, it might be nice to warn people about that up front.

The app has been getting better, though. The biggest thing I could ask for would be a way to pull up a map of where you are, and where everything is, on your phone or tablet. Google maps overlay or something.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

I understand development, Hal, but I'll chime in with another request to synch the website "my itinerary" with the app. Just about every other company has synched apps (and, yes, probably several dozen or more developers). Most of us like building our schedules on our main computers. To have to use a paper copy, or reload every single desired event a second time just garners frustration. Come up with a synched app, and I'll bet the usage soars. Those of us who attend every year really don't need the other information on the app like how to get there, where stuff is, etc. but a way to help plan my day once on-field would be fantastic.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

I'll pass your feedback along. Thanks Dale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

Hal,

Others beat me to it, but the inability to sync the app to the web (or even the web between devices for that matter) renders it nearly useless to any but the most neophyte users.

Come on Hal- we've been having this same conversation this time every year for many years now. The app and website are not up to EAA's standard of quality.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Is there an online resource describing the current version of the app? I'd like to see what functionality it has today vs when I tried it. Does it include the NOTAM?

I downloaded it a few years ago and thought it was a disaster. The lack of a GPS referenced map was disappointing, and the app seemed to perpetually be in an update mode, with the little "downloading symbol" just going to town most of the time due to inadequate bandwidth on site. Beyond that, when I did have connectivity, it pushed a ridiculous amount of stuff to my phone. After a day or so, I removed the app from my phone.

In the early years, I understood the fact that that app was essentially a copy of the web data on your phone as connectivity on the site was iffy. Today, that is not the case. The app should simply be a mobile friendly interface to the actual website. I don't need to upload many MBs of data that then gets updated several times during the week. That is just an annoyance.

For now, I'll continue to just use the website. At least phones have gotten bigger!

After looking through the schedule this year, I've got one more suggestion. . . what is the deal with forums that lack a description? Anyone have a clue what "Boundary Layer-Ingesting Fan Test" is? I am a propulsion system engineer, and I don't! Or how about "T-40 Hours to Oshkosh"; on Saturday, when most of us are wrapping up the week. What does that mean? Are the forum presenters not required to provide a description? I mean a few simple sentences? They should all have a brief bio too, at least if they expect anyone to show up, and their name is not already well known. This didn't used to be a problem.

As far as I know, it will be handed off to Apple and Google for approval by the first of next week. In my experience, Google usually approves apps within a few hours, while Apple usually needs about a week.

As far as feedback and feature requests, etc., I'd encourage everyone to send those to feedback@eaa.org.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

Quote Originally Posted by keen9 View Post
    After looking through the schedule this year, I've got one more suggestion. . . what is the deal with forums that lack a description? Anyone have a clue what "Boundary Layer-Ingesting Fan Test" is? I am a propulsion system engineer, and I don't! Or how about "T-40 Hours to Oshkosh"; on Saturday, when most of us are wrapping up the week. What does that mean? Are the forum presenters not required to provide a description? I mean a few simple sentences? They should all have a brief bio too, at least if they expect anyone to show up, and their name is not already well known. This didn't used to be a problem.
    I have to agree with you on this. I've attended a few forums based solely on the title, and it wound up being something totally different than what I thought it would be. A description & bio would be nice.