Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Camping questions

If the speaker is well-known, the forum will start filling up during the session before the one of interest. E.g., anything with Pelton, Rutan, FAA leaders, NTSB leaders, etc. Also, probably anything on basic med, ATC privatization, user fees and other hot topics will be packed.
    Last edited by mcdewey; 06-21-2017 at 06:27 AM.

All backpacks can get a cursory security search at the entrance gates - Mine always contains raingear, a bottle of cold water, bug spray, sunscreen, and the like. There are NO firearms allowed on the grounds, this includes folks with a permit. So leave it at home or locked in the car.

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/ab...ohibited-items
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 06-21-2017 at 07:20 AM.

This will be my second year at Oshkosh (last year was Thursday-Sunday), and my first that I will try to attend forums/demos/workshops. This year I'll be there for the whole thing, so I started mapping things out, and... holy crap, there's just not enough time to go to everything! Plus I'll be doing two volunteer slots. I'm going to need a vacation after this...

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCostello View Post
    This will be my second year at Oshkosh (last year was Thursday-Sunday), and my first that I will try to attend forums/demos/workshops. This year I'll be there for the whole thing, so I started mapping things out, and... holy crap, there's just not enough time to go to everything! Plus I'll be doing two volunteer slots. I'm going to need a vacation after this...
    I've been going every year for the last dozen, plus a couple of earlier ones waaaaaaay back when. The last few years, I've been there all week, arriving before it starts and leaving after it's over. There are a few things I try to see each time: the Seaplane Base, the Museum, the Pioneer Museum (same day that I go to the Museum), the night airshows. Otherwise, I just see all I can, with the idea that if I miss something this year, there's always next year. Unless there's a specific performer I want to watch, I can take or leave the airshows (other than the night shows). Sometimes there are movies I'd like to see at the Ford theater. Sometimes there are concerts I want to see--Gary Senise's Lt. Dan Band has been memorable each year that he's been there. All in all, though, it's virtually impossible to attend everything--neither the time nor the energy. But that never detracts from the experience.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

This will be my first time at both Oshkosh and camping there for the full show. This thread was very helpful for sure, thanks!

dragon2knight - I can almost guarantee that it will be all that you hope it will be and more. The enormity of the event has to be experienced to be believed. Impossible to see it all in just one week, but a week is more than enough time to visit all the main display areas, the 4 exhibit hangars and watch some spectacular air shows.

As I suggest to anyone coming for the first time - wear COMFY walking shoes, bring raingear, wear a wide brim hat, use sunscreen liberally and stay hydrated. Oh, and grab a map as you enter the grounds - you'll thank me later. Add the Airventure app to your smart phone and recognize that unlike most any other map you have ever seen or used..... North is to the LEFT and straight up is EAST.
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 07-06-2017 at 08:26 AM.

As far as the rain gear, I buy several of the "disposable" ones and keep at least two in my pack or pockets. They are cheap and about the size of a wallet.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    dragon2knight - I can almost guarantee that it will be all that you hope it will be and more. The enormity of the event has to be experienced to be believed. Impossible to see it all in just one week, but a week is more than enough time to visit all the main display areas, the 4 exhibit hangars and watch some spectacular air shows.

As I suggest to anyone coming for the first time - wear COMFY walking shoes, bring raingear, wear a wide brim hat, use sunscreen liberally and stay hydrated. Oh, and grab a map as you enter the grounds - you'll thank me later. Add the Airventure app to your smart phone and recognize that unlike most any other map you have ever seen or used..... North is to the LEFT and straight up is EAST.
    I hope to take most of it in...sounds a little overwhelming, but I'm giving myself an extra day +(late Saturday and Sunday) to acclimate myself to it. Just bought the full week ticket yesterday and am buying the campground pass tomorrow. One question: do we choose where we are going to set up or do they? As long as I'm near a shower/bathroom, I'm good,lol. And thanks again, this is making me want this to be here already

Mike
    Last edited by dragon2knight; 07-09-2017 at 02:27 PM.

If you're talking about Scholler (non-airplane camping), you just pull into a space that's not otherwise staked out or reserved. See the map: https://www.eaa.org/~/media/files/ai...ap-6-28-17.pdf

Portolets abound through the grounds. There are limited flush toilets and shower buildings at key locations (as shown on the map).

Ok, cool, nice to see something that's at least pointing me in the right direction, it's honestly a bit confusing. And by "just pull in" I'm assuming that my car sits on my spot with me...? never did a campground like that before.