Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camping questions

Question Camping questions

This year I was fortunate to the the week of Airventure off work and am going to attend my first one. I have a few question that hopefully you seasoned veterans can answer for me.

I will be arriving Monday the 24th sometime between 4 and 7 pm and am going to be camping in Scholler. I plan on staying thru Saturday and leaving Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning. I've got my EAA membership paid for and will be prepaying for my camping in a week or so.

My first question is what location in the campgrounds can I plan to get that time Monday evening?

Are the campgrounds secure? l will be in the show all day and will probably be leaving for groceries and supplies a few times during the week and was wondering if there is any issue with leaving my camp equipment; stove, chair, coolers, etc; out without fear of it coming up missing?

Since I will have camping credentials when I leave the grounds for errands can I reenter thru any gate or only the main check in line gate?

What hours are the shower houses open? I am very much a night owl and on my days off is not uncommon for me to be up at odd hours during the night. If the showers are open that sounds like a good time to catch one and avoid the crowds. The only info I found we hours that they close for cleaning not sure if the close during the night.

That's all the questions I have for now if I think of any more I will post them.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by planemechae View Post
    My first question is what location in the campgrounds can I plan to get that time Monday evening?
    You won't get a front row spot anywhere as those fill up 2-3 weeks ahead of starting day but there will be plenty of excellent camping spots. Get a map and come join us along sunset/sunrise between Lindbergh and Elm.

Are the campgrounds secure? l will be in the show all day and will probably be leaving for groceries and supplies a few times during the week and was wondering if there is any issue with leaving my camp equipment; stove, chair, coolers, etc; out without fear of it coming up missing?
    No worries. I've never had anything go missing. It's a secure camping experience.

Since I will have camping credentials when I leave the grounds for errands can I reenter thru any gate or only the main check in line gate?
    There is a gate on Schaick Ave @ Poberenzy Rd. where you can enter/exit with your camp credentials, hassle free. I think there is more than one but that is the one I always use.

What hours are the shower houses open? I am very much a night owl and on my days off is not uncommon for me to be up at odd hours during the night. If the showers are open that sounds like a good time to catch one and avoid the crowds. The only info I found we hours that they close for cleaning not sure if the close during the night.
    I think shower houses are only closed 2x a day for cleaning and that only last 1 hr (maybe 2 hr) or so. Otherwise, open 24/7

Not camping advice, but I suggest to ALL 1st timers to Oshkosh - Sunscreen and lots of it, bug spray, a brimmed hat and wear COMFY shoes, walking boots - the venue is truly huge. Stay hydrated. Take advantage of the tram/bus service to get to the different areas of your interest then walk around those areas.

Randy, I been driving tram more years than I can remember, Hope to see you down there. I got AM shift this year.

I've been a conductor for years myself. I have a mix of am and pm shifts over the 9 days which will work out well with my arrival and departure and still give me a chance to wander the grounds during off hours. Morning tram passengers have the look of hope, late in the day it's a look of relief - lol - I can barely contain my excitement to get started.

If you are talking about entering on foot, you can go through any gate with your wristband.

If you're talking about driving in, you must use one of the Scholler gates. There are two from the US-41 frontage road and one I believe (with limited hours) off Ripple Ave and another off Knapp Street.

The showers are never locked. You can shower at 3AM if you want, or my favorite time, in the middle of the airshow.

Thanks for all the answers guys. Im sure I'll have more questions in the coming weeks leading up to the event and I'll be sure to post them. I just bought a good new pair of comfortable shoes that I'm getting broken in before the trip. I've got sunscreen and wide brimmed hat on my list of essetials. I'm really getting excited thinking about this trip, been wanting to visit since was a little kid and am excited to finally be able to go. Been soaking up all the info I can find about it.

Planemechae: You will have a great time at Oshkosh. Be prepared to be overwhelmed with things that fly, things to learn, do, and meet a lot of great people with great stories. I've been going since 1983, and there's only one place on Earth I want to be during the last week of July. The other members here have posted a lot good information. Camp Scholler is a fun and safe place to stay. There are a few low spots, but EAA has really improved drainage over the years. Check the campground map on the website for the many different areas for pets, 24hr.generators, no gens at night, etc. A bicycle is a great way to get between your campsite and the entrance (there are bicycle corrals at entry gates for locking up your ride). If you are out by highway 41, it can be a long walk. There are campground shuttle buses that will get you back and forth, too.
    Last edited by RC Gregg; 06-18-2017 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RC Gregg View Post
    Planemechae: You will have a great time at Oshkosh. Be prepared to be overwhelmed with things that fly, things to learn, do, and meet a lot of great people with great stories. I've been going since 1983, and there's only one place on Earth I want to be during the last week of July. The other members here have posted a lot good information. Camp Scholler is a fun and safe place to stay. There are a few low spots, but EAA has really improved drainage over the years. Check the campground map on the website for the many different areas for pets, 24hr.generators, no gens at night, etc. A bicycle is a great way to get between your campsite and the entrance (there are bicycle corrals at entry gates for locking up your ride). If you are out by highway 41, it can be a long walk. There are campground shuttle buses that will get you back and forth, too.
    I'm trying to be prepared as possible but I know I'll be very overwhelmed by the shear size of the event. I've already stared an itinerary calendar to make sure the I don't miss a lot of the things I definitely want to see. I've got a bike ready to go planning on biking to and from the gates from my camp. There are several forums and seminars that appeal to me and want to make sure to try to attend those. Whats the attendance like at the forums and seminars? Do I need to plan to get there very early for some of them or just 5 or so minutes before the start of them?? Is it okay to carry a small backpack onto the show grounds with the essentials in it?? Water, sunscreen, etc..

Thanks for all the advice so far guys. I'm super pumped and ready to go. I've been browsing every Airventure resource I can find on the web and nearly every question I've had has been able to be found in the forums.

Typically there are plenty of seats at the forums in my experience, but some can be SRO. My advice is to to show a few minutes early. The good news is a lot of the forums are held multiple times during the week so if you have a conflict there's a good chance you can catch it later.

And yes you can take backpacks onto the grounds.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!