Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ryan ST-A Parts / Technical Drawings

Ryan ST-A Parts / Technical Drawings

Where can I find a set of drawings for a Ryan ST-A?
    I've looked high and low and haven't been successful in finding any.

Name:  ryan_st_a_dimensions.jpg
Views: 5152
Size:  52.9 KB
    Last edited by rkirk77; 05-28-2017 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rkirk77 View Post
    Where can I find a set of drawings for a Ryan ST-A? I've looked high and low and haven't been successful in finding any.
    Somebody has built a replica so maybe you can track them down and/or research how they did it. I would call the EAA publications and get someone to search the back issues for Ryan STA replica.

Without too much effort poking in the FAA registry, I found the plane N14910. Now registered to someone in the Ft. Worth, TX area.

They just did one this month.. which is why I am asking around.

Such a beautiful airplane!

Quote Originally Posted by rkirk77 View Post
    They just did one this month.. which is why I am asking around.

Such a beautiful airplane!
    Yeah a true restoration. Nice to look at but not realistic as a regular flyer.

The replica mentioned earlier was built in the late '90's, there was some magazine coverage. Much more practical, pretty sure it did not have a Menasco engine.

Wouldn't a Gypsy Major work just as well?

They are pretty close in size except the width.

The Smithsonian's Archives often is a good resource. You do have to promise not to use the information to build a flyable plane though.

https://airandspace.si.edu/archives

Perhaps I can help. A gentleman by the name of Ev Cassagneres had the rights to the airplane and sold detailed, original plans that could be used for homebuilt construction. I purchased these plans from him around the year 2003 or so (quite expensive if I recall). As far as I know the only ST-R completed from these plans was built by Glenn Moore of Burgaw, North Carolina. I've seen the airplane and saw it fly at a local fly-in here in NC, and it was magnificent. He used the Walter LOM inverted-four engine after his original Tigre engine didn't work out well. Menascos are of course as rare as hen's teeth, so were unavailable to him.

Ev also wrote the definitive book on the ST, "The New Ryan". Ev has passed away now, but his own original ST has just been fully restored and was on display at Oshkosh '16, and was a sight to behold. I stood looking at it for at least an hour, and talked to the restorers who did an amazing job. I do believe it won some awards, which would be well deserved from what I could see.

Since I have the plans and serial number, why haven't I built one? The same reason no one else has, I imagine - two large 4-inch rolls of plans, countless pages of parts to be made, many of which are works of art when finished due to the complex metal shaping required. I realized early on that I'd never be able to do it, but who knows? Maybe one day...

Yes - the award winning STA - restored by Ted Teach & colleagues - was pretty nice wasn't it - but there are a number of Ryans being built in basements & small workshops as we speak... the drawings are available and engines / parts do come up from time to time... the original aircraft were built in a small workshop after all - the first ones especially.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Hvd1041; 06-02-2017 at 11:16 AM.

STA plans

i have a set of Ev's plans if anyone is interested in them. Sorry, not cheap.

i have an almost complete set, pm me your email i'll send you a copy for nothing