Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Has anyone ever converted a Quicksilver MX From Landing wires to struts?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    11

    Has anyone ever converted a Quicksilver MX From Landing wires to struts?

    Like the title say, is it possible to convert a Quicksilver Mx Sport to a strut holding the wing up and get rid of the king post and flying wires?

    M-Squared has a 1 seater that looks identical to my MX and it has a Strut and no king post.

    I also would like to make the Wingtips fold about 3 1/2' to 4' from the end, or just remove by sliding into the end, with progressive size tubes (like doublers), and pins.

    It may work if I make a wing similar to a Aerodrome wing and put the Quicksilver airfoil on it. Basically, the Aerodrome wing looks like a Quicksilver wing but riveted together, and covered the conventional way.

    The reason for the folding/removable wingtip is because my storage shed is 23' wide, my Quicksilver has a 28' span.

    I know there's a lot of plans with biplanes, that have a 20' span the would fit in my shed with room to spare. And probably may even cost less to make than trying to convert my wings.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,507
    The wings are held in many different locations using the method Quicksilver does. A strut braced wing would need to be made more rigged for this reason.

    My 2. cents.

    Tony

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    91
    I think it would be cheaper, easier and safer to modify the shed.

  4. #4
    Dana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    592
    Quicksilver makes a strut braced version, but it's heavier and less rigid than the cable braced versions. They never had a folding wing version, though.

    A folding wing plane like a Kolb might be a better choice.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by dougbush View Post
    I think it would be cheaper, easier and safer to modify the shed.

    You're probably right. But it's a major hassle to get permits where I live.
    Last edited by RonK; 05-30-2017 at 03:36 PM.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    The wings are held in many different locations using the method Quicksilver does. A strut braced wing would need to be made more rigged for this reason.

    My 2. cents.

    Tony
    There would only be 2 spots where the strut would be fastened, plus two braces. But that's just on one side. There's 8 with the current set up. Top and bottom.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Quicksilver makes a strut braced version, but it's heavier and less rigid than the cable braced versions. They never had a folding wing version, though.

    A folding wing plane like a Kolb might be a better choice.
    I saw all kinds of good deals after I bought my Quicksilver 5 years ago, all for the same price or cheaper. The guy who sold me the MS Quicksilver had a nice Fly Baby for sale with a good O-200 and pretty good covering job for about $500 more than my Quicksilver, with folding wings.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    11
    Thanks for all the replies. I may consider a different airplane, one with folding wings, or a little biplane with a 20-foot span. There's plenty of Plans in the EAA Flying and Glider Manuals from the 1930's. I have all of them.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,507
    Quote Originally Posted by DWolf View Post
    There would only be 2 spots where the strut would be fastened, plus two braces. But that's just on one side. There's 8 with the current set up. Top and bottom.
    We have a local man who designed his own aircraft around the quicksilver MXL wing. He wanted this to be strut braced. To do so he had to change a lot in the way of construction. He sold around 10 before stopping production. He still to this day flies one of these airplane he designed and built.

    Name:  Tommy's airplane.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  100.3 KB

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    606
    Put it sideways in the shed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •