Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever converted a Quicksilver MX From Landing wires to struts?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Has anyone ever converted a Quicksilver MX From Landing wires to struts?

Like the title say, is it possible to convert a Quicksilver Mx Sport to a strut holding the wing up and get rid of the king post and flying wires?

M-Squared has a 1 seater that looks identical to my MX and it has a Strut and no king post.

I also would like to make the Wingtips fold about 3 1/2' to 4' from the end, or just remove by sliding into the end, with progressive size tubes (like doublers), and pins.

It may work if I make a wing similar to a Aerodrome wing and put the Quicksilver airfoil on it. Basically, the Aerodrome wing looks like a Quicksilver wing but riveted together, and covered the conventional way.

The reason for the folding/removable wingtip is because my storage shed is 23' wide, my Quicksilver has a 28' span.

I know there's a lot of plans with biplanes, that have a 20' span the would fit in my shed with room to spare. And probably may even cost less to make than trying to convert my wings.

The wings are held in many different locations using the method Quicksilver does. A strut braced wing would need to be made more rigged for this reason.

My 2. cents.

Tony

I think it would be cheaper, easier and safer to modify the shed.

Quicksilver makes a strut braced version, but it's heavier and less rigid than the cable braced versions. They never had a folding wing version, though.

A folding wing plane like a Kolb might be a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Quicksilver makes a strut braced version, but it's heavier and less rigid than the cable braced versions. They never had a folding wing version, though.

A folding wing plane like a Kolb might be a better choice.
    I saw all kinds of good deals after I bought my Quicksilver 5 years ago, all for the same price or cheaper. The guy who sold me the MS Quicksilver had a nice Fly Baby for sale with a good O-200 and pretty good covering job for about $500 more than my Quicksilver, with folding wings.

Thanks for all the replies. I may consider a different airplane, one with folding wings, or a little biplane with a 20-foot span. There's plenty of Plans in the EAA Flying and Glider Manuals from the 1930's. I have all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by dougbush View Post
    I think it would be cheaper, easier and safer to modify the shed.

You're probably right. But it's a major hassle to get permits where I live.
    Last edited by RonK; 05-30-2017 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    The wings are held in many different locations using the method Quicksilver does. A strut braced wing would need to be made more rigged for this reason.

My 2. cents.

Tony
    There would only be 2 spots where the strut would be fastened, plus two braces. But that's just on one side. There's 8 with the current set up. Top and bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by DWolf View Post
    There would only be 2 spots where the strut would be fastened, plus two braces. But that's just on one side. There's 8 with the current set up. Top and bottom.
    We have a local man who designed his own aircraft around the quicksilver MXL wing. He wanted this to be strut braced. To do so he had to change a lot in the way of construction. He sold around 10 before stopping production. He still to this day flies one of these airplane he designed and built.

Name:  Tommy's airplane.jpg
Views: 2502
Size:  100.3 KB

Put it sideways in the shed.