Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Warning, Scam or Hacking

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    It feels like I'm in third grade again. But sitting with the dumb kids. ;-)
    I'm waiting to see if he tries to get your lunch money....

Ron "Brownbagger" Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    It feels like I'm in third grade again. But sitting with the dumb kids. ;-)
    Hey, watch it. I highly resemble that.

Dale "I know you are, but what am I?" B

(Sorry, Ron, for encroaching on your schtick.)
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Flying Ron, thanks for your reply, you are a minority of one who writes to the topic. Ive never heard of "Xb" dont have any idea what that is, or xenforo. But this hacking of my friend didnt come from any aviation forum, they dont even use an id on one. As for gmail, it has been suggested that a hacker may find a way to use gmail to access ones computer and therfore get info., as is known to have happend recently. I dont know myself. In any event , part of the money has been returned, so thats good news, no id or track of where the money was sent,that part seems to be false accounts. The police say unlikley to find the culprit. On one part , a scamer actually phoned the credit union, claiming to be the account holder, but was stopped when she could not answer security quetions.

P S, and on my topic of FSS briefing, they did say that managment seems to be pushing toward online, but they dont think that contraction is imminent. Personally I really prefer to talk to an actual person when getting weather info, and I can talk a lot faster than I can type.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 05-26-2017 at 07:00 PM.

Bill, while your original post may not be directly related to aviation , it does however provide an important and helpful. " heads up " to the aviation community members. Thanks for posting.
    Randy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Flying Ron, thanks for your reply, you are a minority of one who writes to the topic.
    So, you consider your, "Thanks Vile Boatwrong, how could this forum exist without your close attention to my every post to make sure they are pure." as being on-topic?

Ron Wanttaja

Randy, thanks for your kind words, yes I was trying to help folks by passing the info along even though I am a computer novice.
    And nice to know there are some polite folks on this forum, even if not always the loudest.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    So, you consider your, "Thanks Vile Boatwrong, how could this forum exist without your close attention to my every post to make sure they are pure." as being on-topic?

Ron Wanttaja
    It's a chicken and the egg scenario, as he made a pun in a thread that soon became full of juvenile jocularity. So it is on topic, though it was ahead of its time. Some people are born to be the avant-garde of the forums, while others just followers with cat memes and dunce caps.

Frank "man, I wish I had some lunch money that could be stolen instead of a brown bag" Giger
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    It's a chicken and the egg scenario, as he made a pun in a thread that soon became full of juvenile jocularity.
    When I look at his response to Kyle, I see no shred of humor. He's engaging in name-calling, which, as Kyle himself pointed out, was extremely childish ("It feels like I'm in third grade again"). That kind of behavior can get you banned, in some forums.

I decided to react with humor...as a late friend of mine used to say, "Laughter succeeds where lecturing won't" (he actually said it in Latin, being a lawyer). Doesn't mean I didn't take it seriously.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by vaflier View Post
    Bill, while your original post may not be directly related to aviation , it does however provide an important and helpful. " heads up " to the aviation community members. Thanks for posting.
    Well, let's take another look at how Bill started his posting:

"Is this related to flying? Its related to EAA forum in the sense that everyone uses a computer for the forum, and I assume they use compuiters/phones for bill paying etc.. Maybe this warning might save people trouble and money."

The problem is, you can thus justify ANY posting, using this logic:

"It's important for pilots to stay healthy, and Amway products will help keep your house germ free!"

"You need money to fly, and if you help this Nigerian prince, you'll be able to afford your dream airplane!"

"Our right to fly is threatened, so everyone should donate money to the [insert political party name]!"

"Heart health is important, so here's some pictures of naked women to get your ticker pumping!"

I'd just prefer that postings be a bit more related to the basic purpose of EAA.

Ron Wanttaja

And if you have nothing of interest of your own to write about you can quote someone else or even make up a series of statments in quotes on your own and attribute them to someone else.

Nobody more vital these days than a good forum vigilante, always on the job to protect us from open thoughts.