Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warning, Scam or Hacking

Warning, Scam or Hacking

Is this related to flying? Its related to EAA forum in the sense that everyone uses a computer for the forum, and I assume they use compuiters/phones for bill paying etc.. Maybe this warning might save people trouble and money.
    A friend recently had a large amount of money fraudulently moved out of both a Fidleity account as well as a local work credit union. The hackers were sophisticated enough to have gotten act numbers, names and passwords, and even bypassed an alert caution on the credit union account. This person is on another aviation website, and extensively used computer for business transactions as well as social and shopping. An IT expert thinks the hackers may have stolen their info from G mail. It was not an inside job of someone else opening the home computer. This person never pays bills by phone or check almost always by computer.
    The good news is the accounts are insured and $$ may be reinstated.
    So what to do if you use Gmail or are worried about this?, consider changing at least your passwords.
    PS, as a related aside, I an not a computer geek, still get my FSS briefings by phone and I notice a question at the start about online use, sounds like FSS ( Lockheed) is tryihg to push everyone into online only access. Hope not
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 05-26-2017 at 11:22 AM.

Why would gmail have any of his banking information? I certainly would reuse usernames/passwords on those sort of sites on anything important.

I don't even use the same password on these forums as I use for other forums. vBulletin is a gigantic security hole to begin with. At least this forum is only ONE major revision behind and vB still claims to be issuing security patches for it (AOPA is still on 3.x and that's a REAL PROBLEM). Two of the vB based legal sites, including one owned by the same company that owns vB were pretty badly hacked a few months ago. There's really nobody with a clue left at vB to my knowledge. They all jumped to Xenforo (which is the software PoA switched to, and I'm considering the same for my sites).
    Last edited by FlyingRon; 05-25-2017 at 12:02 PM.

Ain't related to EAA or airplanes at all. Same as the Queen's hairdo isn't an aviation topic even though she travels by jet occasionally.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Same as the Queen's hairdo isn't an aviation topic even though she travels by jet occasionally.
    I'm not so sure about that. The Queen's hairdo looks like a flying fadoo.

Thanks Vile Boatwrong, how could this forum exist without your close attention to my every post to make sure they are pure.
    And by the way, just to make sure it is really you, how about giving your ss number?
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 05-25-2017 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Thanks Vile Boatwrong....
    Oooo! Oooo! Do me, do me!

Ron "Can't be worse than 'Water Ninja'" Wanttaja

Ten thousand comedians out of work in this country, and youse guys are cracking jokes. Where's your union cards?
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Ten thousand comedians out of work in this country, and youse guys are cracking jokes. Where's your union cards?
    If a comedian was smart they would be here for new material and there would be fewer comedians out of work.

(lmao at whole thread)

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week. Or at least until Hal kills this thread.

Ron "In before the...well, you know" Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Thanks Vile Boatwrong, how could this forum exist without your close attention to my every post to make sure they are pure.
    And by the way, just to make sure it is really you, how about giving your ss number?
    It feels like I'm in third grade again. But sitting with the dumb kids. ;-)