Thread: Camping with Dad - Limited Mobility

Camping with Dad - Limited Mobility

I'll be camping at Camp Scholler for the first time this year with my father. I worry a bit about his mobility. He will be fine walking around the exhibits and the airshow and should be able to take breaks as needed, but I worry about hikes to and from the campsite. Any pointers on things to look for in finding a campsite that would suit a grumpy old aviation buff that might need a little help getting around? Particularly, I will likely be out and about more than him and I want to be sure that he is fine on his own heading back to the camper if he needs to rest for a while.

The shuttle bus stops at many locations throughout camp scholler. There are also handicap buses that can be called from any shuttle bus that would probably pick him up at your campsite and drop him back off there. I don't think I have ever had to walk more than a few hundred feet to catch a bus and there is always your thumb to catch a ride with some one with a golf cart around the grounds and campgrounds.

That's good to know. Great! I'm a little less worried about losing pops somewhere along the way!

You could also look into renting a mobility scooter?

We've found selecting a site near the West Camp Store is convenient. Besides the store, it's a stop for the Camp Scholler buses including the one that goes to off site shopping and showers with real toilets are right there. It's also a nice shady area with a hut adjacent to the showers for recharging devices.

There is a handicap camping area just across from the Red Barn and the back entrance to the exhibits. I recommend you check on the requirements for access to the area.
    Jerry

I drove last year and got there the day before it started. Our camp site was W A Y away from anything so on the 2nd day I drove over to the Good Will store and found 2 bicycles for 40.00 each. That was the cheapest I could find and when we left, we gave them to our campground neighbors. Good Will had a lot of bikes, a lot of people just leave them at Airventure and they end up at GW. A small electric scooter would have been nice.
    Bob