Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liability insurance requirements at airports

Question Liability insurance requirements at airports

Hi all,

Hawaii has a $1 million liability insurance requirement on any aircraft based at an airport in the state. They just announced that they are going to increase this requirement to $2 million. This apparently applies without concern for whether the aircraft is located in a hangar or tied down outside and without concern for the type or size of aircraft. We in Chapter 1182 in Hilo would like to collect some data for what the requirements are at airports on the mainland, because this seems completely unreasonable. (This is in addition to a monthly cost of over $100 for a tiedown and over $500 for a rusty old T-hangar.)

If people could post the requirements at their home airport, I'd appreciate it. We are looking to petition the state and possibly also the FAA about this.

Thanks,

/Patrik J.

Is this type certificated airplanes or everything and anything called an airplane tied down or in a hangar?

Anything with an N-number.

Texas does not have a state requirement, but some municipal airports require it....but they are in the minority. typical is one million combined property and medical/100,000 personal injury. also typical is the requirement to name the municipality as covered in the policy. what is interesting is when you get into the fine print of the policy, you may not be covered for all the things you (and the municipality) assume you are. I had several questions as to how it all worked and what was covered/when....my agent, who specializes in aircraft insurance....had trouble explaining it all. in fact, he was clueless as to some of the policy conditions. seems like if HI is requiring it, it is to cover people and property anywhere in the state you go. in the case of my coverage, it is to only cover what might happen on the municipal airport. the more you dig into this type coverage, the more questions it raises.

My county airport in Washington state has no insurance requirement for tiedown space ($38/month)
    Never had insurance in Alaska either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    My county airport in Washington state has no insurance requirement for tiedown space ($38/month)ug
    Never had insurance in Alaska either.
    Auburn airport in Washington just instituted a million-dollar requirement, with the city listed as additional insured.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Auburn airport in Washington just instituted a million-dollar requirement, with the city listed as additional insured.

Ron Wanttaja
    Sorry to here that. I guess this insurance mandate and the ADS-B mandate in 2020 will knock many out of private aviation.

The legal eagle looks better everyday. Maybe time to trade down for one if this happens all over. Basic Medical will be of no good if this happens across the board. I was speaking with a friend the other day about this subject. He has been featured or his build has been featured within the pages of EAA mag. He purchased a Kolb or something similar. He then checked into insuring it. He found the insurance cost more then the Kolb cost him. He said he will fly naked or without insurance and I don't blame him. Most who fly these style airplanes fly this way just because of this reason. He said I have over 5000 hrs flying and they want more to insure this then my RV that grazed the pages of EAA mag.

Tony

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I was speaking with a friend the other day about this subject. He purchased a Kolb or something similar. He then checked into insuring it. He found the insurance cost more then the Kolb cost him. He said he will fly naked or without insurance and I don't blame him.

Tony
    Does that mean he'll fly without liability insurance or hull or both? Clarify. If he doesn't maintain liability, will you have the same cavalier attitude of "I don't blame him" if he crashes into your house and kills or maims your family?

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    The legal eagle looks better everyday. Maybe time to trade down for one if this happens all over. Basic Medical will be of no good if this happens across the board. I was speaking with a friend the other day about this subject. He has been featured or his build has been featured within the pages of EAA mag. He purchased a Kolb or something similar. He then checked into insuring it. He found the insurance cost more then the Kolb cost him.
    He must have been trying to get full coverage. My liability insurance costs me less than $200/year.

Ron Wanttaja