Thread: What is the purpose of EAA?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What is the purpose of EAA?

The Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) has grown and changed over the years, merged with other organizations, and certainly means different things to different people. Homebuilt, vintage, ultralight, aerobatic, and warbird enthusiasts all have their place.

One thing that strikes me is that there seems to be less emphasis on homebuilding and restoration today then when I first became an EAA member 25 years ago. I don't want to rehash old threads about the spectacle of Airventure, the editorial line of Sport Aviation or the ups and downs of EAA chapters, but it seems clear that the organization's focus has changed.

I recently contacted the EAA Library and asked for copies of the organization's charter. I received the original and revised articles of incorporation from 1955 and 2013. It's interesting to compare the two and see what EAA declared as its purpose then and now.

Article 3. The purposes shall be
    (a) To encourage the development of any type of aircraft by individuals through experimentation and home engineering.
    (b) To foster closer fellowship through the exchange of idea of mutual interest, and to be fraternal in character.
    (c) To aid in reducing the cost of homebuilding and experimentation through cooperative buying.

ARTICLE THREE. PURPOSES
    This corporation is organized and shall be operated exclusively for educational, scientific and/or charitable purposes and, to the extent consistent therewith, shall:
    (a) Cooperate with and assist governmental agencies in the development of programs relating to aviation activities.
    (b) Promote and encourage aviation safety in the design, construction and operation of all types of aircraft.
    (c) Promote and encourage grass roots efforts relating to aviation research and development.
    (d) Promote and encourage aviation.

What do folks here, as EAA members, think of these changes to the stated purpose of EAA?

Cheers,

Matthew
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft