Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
Tom, I and others on this topic should accept your diagnosis. The trouble must lie with the first carb, the overhauled one,just as you say, even when it is no longer on the airplane, . Why couldn't I see that all along,rather then trying to have a logical discussion about the symptoms and what had already been checked?
And Im glad we disagree, if you agreed with me, I'd assume that I was wrong and change my opinion. And I dont have much experience with engines, other than Air Force mechanic school and owning and flying three small 4 cylinder Lycomings for 10 years or so, unless you count the decades of partial working on engines from small single cylinder to V-12s, in motorcycles, cars and airplanes.
So it must be the carb that was overhauled, and even when it is not on the engine, it must have left negative vibes, that only occur under 1200 rpm.
I am having some trouble with my car, a miss or cutting out a low speed. I took it to the shop and told them it must be the overhauled carb, and they looked at me kind of funny and claimed it had fuel injection instead of a carb. Im going to try another shop that might be able to find the defective carb hidden in that engine.
We once actually had trouble with an ovehauled carb on a SNJ, got it back from the oh shop and while the plane would start and run it would die at idle, Turns out the oh shop does a lot of duster engines which spend a lot of time idling and the shop had set the float level like they do in dusters, thus too lean for the SNJ.
And what does all that have to do with the ability to trouble shoot on line? All my years dealing with customers has taught me the only way to trouble shoot any problem is to do the whole job yourself. Step by step, square 1 step 1 to finish, Believe it or not you can't do that thru the computer screen. So don't get all up tight because somebody calls you on it.