Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Food at EAA Airventure?

Food at EAA Airventure?

If you are at EAA Airventure all week, can you eat healthy? I like brats, but they have a lot of fat ,and living on them and french fries for a week is not good. I know there are some foreign style food stands near show center, with long lines, but that doesnt cover much of the rest of the airport. Just saw an article on how fried potatoes, Ie french fries, are not healthy, and I doubt if much could be less healthy than fried cheese curds. What do you guys eat? There may be some salads, but I dont like salads or dressing. Some of the stands like DQ at the hangars have only hot dogs.
    Not a matter of health, just taste, but I really wish there were some soft drink choices other than Pepsi, its awful and gets worse for the week. How bout Dr, Pepper and Coke like most places. Is there a state law giving Pepsi a monopoly?
    While waiting in a food line this week, I was talking to a vegetarian, and I was thinking aobut what food is good for us, balanced by tastes. Think of this, a gorilla eats only leaves etc, no meat at all, a white shark eats only fish or meat, no veggies, and a grizzly bear eats both, anything including us if we get too close, and all three are strong, fast and healthy?
    What should a person eat? Well we have both kinds of teeth, both cutting and chewing, so maybe we are designed to eat a wide range?
    It takes a bit of looking but last time I was at Lakeland, years ago, there were a few better meals.
    I remember when the Berlin wall finally opened up the folks from East were starved for everything and flooded into the west and the one food they really wanted and missed was fresh bananas!
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 06-13-2017 at 02:01 PM.

I say if the gods didn't want us to eat animals...they wouldn't be made out of meat. lol

There are some healthy choices at the various food depots but to be honest I think just eating a smaller portion (one hot dog, not two for example) and drinking lots of fluids ( mostly water ) probably is a wise choice just because of the heat and sun. I try to have a nice supper someplace off the grounds now and then on my way back to the motel for the evening, but for those nine days I kinda forget about dieting and just enjoy it all.

Well it's only a week, and if you stay less it's even easier to just suck it up and eat junk. However you can make it healthier (or like us to just take a break from brat and cheese curd overload) -- Turkey burgers, salads (yes I saw you don't like them), Turkey wraps, yogurt, fruit cups, Subway Subs (Veggie delight, Turkey, etc) to name a few. Of course you can always bring food or go to the store and buy whatever food you want--you don't have to eat from the joints on the field.
    Last edited by Auburntsts; 06-14-2017 at 06:30 AM.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Well Bill, eating healthy is not the same for everyone. I pretty much eat a KETO diet. High fat, medium protein, low carb and no, (or as close as I can get) sugar. My standard breakfast for the last two years is, bacon, or sausage and eggs. I drank my coffee black with no sugar for over 50 years but now I put in heave cream just to get more fat. When I was at Airventure last year it was the same and for lunch it was either brats with no bun or a meat sandwich and only eat half the bread, so, you can adapt and over come. And after all, elephants eat nothing but greens, drink only water and sometimes run but I've never seen a skinny one !
    Bob

What Todd said plus the fact that you can buy non-Pepsi products at Sacred Heart (between the main gate and the transportation mall). Also, several of the homes a little West of there sell bottled or canned drinks for far less than the "inside the fence" vendors.

Regarding the event being "Pepsi Only", I suspect Pepsi has paid EAA or otherwise compensated EAA for exclusive rights. That's how most big events, stadiums, and sports leagues do it - play off Coke vs Pepsi to see who coughs up the most $$ for event rights.

Our first day at the convention each year, we visit the transportation mall and pay $25 to have one of the van drivers take us to the grocery store to pick up food and drinks. That $25 saves us several times that amount over the course of the week.

Each day I pack in with two cans of soup (with pop lids) six slices of whole wheat bread to dip in the cold soup, some cookies, potato chips and two snack bars. All from Walmart.
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 06-14-2017 at 06:41 PM. Reason: removed candy bar (melts)

I find I actually eat less during my 9 days at Oshkosh. Between driving tram (sorry, shuttle) during morning shift and volunteering for evening shift on North 40, I am on mostly water or Gatorade and the occasional free sandwiches provided. Once in a while will accompany friends off field at night for a good meal.

Yeah, it changed about a decade ago. Prior to that, it was a COKE event. Sometimes that clashes with the airshow act sponsorship. I remember sitting (weathered in in Pittsburgh) with a performer and asked him if he did Oshkosh and he said he couldn't because it was (then) a Coke show and he had Pepsi as a sponsor.

The food options if you want to eat healthy have gotten better. There's a Subway between the Vintage Red Barn and the Theatre in the Woods. Some of the outlets offer decent salads. Of course, I just punt and figure that week at Oshkosh is my chance to fill up on Brats and Cheese Curds for the year.

There is a family style restaurant near OSH if memory serves (I recall it has a plastic cow out front) that offers beer battered scallops for which they also provide a cup of melted butter for dipping. A cardiologist's nightmare - lol - but MIGHTY tasty!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Each day I pack in with two cans of soup (with pop lids) six slices of whole wheat bread to dip in the cold soup, some cookies, potato chips and a candy bar. All from Walmart.
    Bill, that sounds somewhat interesting. What flavor soup? As in, I'm not too sure I could eat it cold! But I like the idea.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton