Thread: REAL Hangar Talk

REAL Hangar Talk

I keep my plane(s) in an actual hangar. Is there a real airplane-name for those open carport looking things that you see by the row at some airports (notably KYNL)?

Most people I've talked to call them shade ports.
    Cheers!

Joe

That'll work! Thanks

Hmmm, garage without sides for cars is a carport.

So one for airplanes should be an airpo... Oh. Um.

Yeah, shade port.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

At my home airport they call them "covered tiedowns". Basically an old row of hangars they removed the doors from, half the rent of the enclosed T-hangars.

Name:  fisher_snow_734.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  84.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    At my home airport they call them "covered tiedowns". Basically an old row of hangars they removed the doors from, half the rent of the enclosed T-hangars.

Name:  fisher_snow_734.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  84.9 KB
    So the owner removes the doors to charge a lesser amount. What a nice person. Why not put the doors back on, charge the same amount and be a really super duper nice person. If one has the doors this cost nothing. IMHO removing the doors and charging a lower amount and not offering these hangars with doors at the same reduced amount. Is kinda what us rednecks call Chicken Sh#t practice. I am glad we have those that don't treat others like this.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    So the owner removes the doors to charge a lesser amount. What a nice person. Why not put the doors back on, charge the same amount and be a really super duper nice person. If one has the doors this cost nothing. IMHO removing the doors and charging a lower amount and not offering these hangars with doors at the same reduced amount. Is kinda what us rednecks call Chicken Sh#t practice. I am glad we have those that don't treat others like this.
    It was before my time, but my understanding is that the doors were old and constantly getting broken, not cost effective to maintain or replace. It may have been done at the same time as they built 3 times as many new hangars with electric doors on the other side of the airport, I don't know.

Dana

I always heard them called "plane ports."

Larry N.

I was fortunate to be able to land at Whiteman AFB recently. Parked my O-2A next to the 509th's T-38s. Wish I could have gotten a picture but not allowed. Anyway, Whiteman AFB calls those things "Sunshades." Underneath you can find A-10's, T-38's, and for a few days last month, one O-2A.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com