Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primary non commercial

Primary non commercial

What happened to the ARC proposal that the FAA create the Primary non commercial category? I don't understand why nobody is pushing this issue. Canadian owners have been able to maintain their own aircraft for years, yet owners of certified aircraft in the US can't even legally change an ignition harness without finding an A&P. It seems to me that safety would be much improved if a owner could fix things themselves rather than try and nurse marginal items along because its to expensive or to difficult to find a mechanic to do the repairs.

I'm right there with you as to why EAA is not all over this. Basic Med is a done deal the new dragon to slay should most certainly be this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is nothing to push at this point because the PNC proposal is off the table. The likelyhood of a PNC category is pretty small at this point.

A PNC category as proposed by the ARC was not considered by the FAA because it was outside the scope of the Part 23 re-write.

What happened in place of the PNC category is a simplified process of expediting approval for upgrade and replacement parts for the aging aircraft fleet.

Something else of note - of the >600 comments regarding part 23 changes, only 30 came from individuals. That's not a very squeaky wheel.

I'm willing to bet piles of money(if I had it available) that there's quite a large number of people that will fix their own stuff anyways instead of having an A&P do the work. Which I generally wouldn't see the problem with, but proficiency is pretty important when you're 10,000 feet or more above innocent people.

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheH View Post
    I'm willing to bet piles of money(if I had it available) that there's quite a large number of people that will fix their own stuff anyways instead of having an A&P do the work. Which I generally wouldn't see the problem with, but proficiency is pretty important when you're 10,000 feet or more above innocent people.
    I know several.

But they have an A&P sign off on the work they, the owner, did after the fact.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I'd be willing to bet some people do some of their own maintenance anyway, and never even make a logbook entry.

If you have a tube and fabric aircraft and especially with wooden spars there are (at least locally) very few qualified to do a annual inspection. I doubt tube and fabric is even taught at school anymore. Take it to the big shop up the road and they're learning on your time (and dollar$$$). For those of us who want to inspect and maintain our personal aircraft I'd think some kind of a short course teaching the essentials (and not jet engines, controllable props, etc.) along with a written and maybe a hands on test would be one way. I used to teach them all the time at the local community college.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

I would sign up in a heartbeat if I could take a course like whats available for light sport. All I want to be able to do is legally maintain my 70 year old Vagabond, heck I would be willing to bet that it is simpler and easier to work on than a lot of the light sports that you can take the repairman's certificate course for.

Quote Originally Posted by L16 Pilot View Post
    If you have a tube and fabric aircraft and especially with wooden spars there are (at least locally) very few qualified to do a annual inspection. I doubt tube and fabric is even taught at school anymore.
    Yes, tube and fabric are still taught at 147 schools. Inspection and especially repair of wood structures isn't very common in the field so the guys that do that type work won't be available at every FBO but then neither are radial engine mechanics.

Marty I stand corrected but I wonder how much time is actually spent on it. I've found cracked spars that both the previous owner and IA missed.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!