I'm curious about a couple of things regarding planes with no starter or electrical system. I'm in the early stages of building a biplane and am starting to ponder the engine choices. I want to build simple and light, but not limit where (aside from transponder requirements) and how I can fly. In other words... I want to be able to fly somewhere, land, shut down, then fly back home without needing someone else to help out. I don't want to be that guy you read about whose plane wanders off and impacts something, but I also don't want to have to have a ground crew to fly. So - the following questions are specifically related to a biplane with a small Continental up front.

I get the hand prop process. How, though, would one handle a hand-propped tail dragger solo, especially when away from the home field? I've seen and read about a tail hook with a cockpit release -- but what would you hook it to? I imagine using wheel chocks would be an option, but if flying alone pulling the chocks from the cockpit would seem to be a challenge with a wing in the way. I need to figure out how it's done both on pavement and on grass.

Educate me, guys.