Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Hand propping questions

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Seems like a cockpit kickstarter would work since legs are stronger than arms. My Chief had a lever starter that barely worked and I removed it.
    The Champ I owned also had the remains of that system installed under the panel. Nobody in my circle had any idea what it was for or how it worked.
    The neatest system for an plane with no electrical system consists of an ordinary drill motor mounted on the engine. It has a gear drive to turn the prop and a cockpit control to activate it. You could carry a few extra charged batteries if you were planning a long day. I believe that it was only approved for the T-Craft BC12.

I hand prop a PA-11 from behind by myself to go flying, -8 engine so....

At home tying the tail is easy, I leave the rope hooked to a hydrant. Mine will readily start at low enough throttle to not move but if away from home another option is to use a bunny cord attached to the brake pedal on the master cylinders under the front seat and wrapped around the front seat frame legs for a manual parking brake.

I learned from a couple old hands but have learned much more since then. Most important to me is to follow a routine and even then check and recheck throttle and mag settings before touching the prop, each time you reach for it. Safety first, second and third!

How about a string tied to the throttle knob? If the plane lurches forward the string will pull the throttle off. (Maybe )

Quote Originally Posted by kwingram View Post
    ... a bunny cord ...
    bunny cord?

The way some folks hand-prop, maybe a rabbit's foot is appropriate!

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee