Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Hand propping questions

This thread is turning into Trolldom. You guys need to take chill pills or move on.
    Have fun boys, I am done with this

I took a 2 day course on hand propping. Here are some of my instructors demonstrating the fine art of propping:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ha ha, that's funny. Did they teach you to lick the dead bugs off the prop?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    I thought they were doing the aviation equivalent of sticking your tongue on a frozen flag pole. After a triple-dog-dare of course.

Terrible form.

But it's not how well the bear hand props, but that he's hand propping at all.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

A while back, one of my rowdy friends sent me a YouTube vid of Brazilian ag plane and ground crew. He's a redneck married to a Brazilian.
    It shows them wrapping a rope around the prop shaft, tying it to a P.U. truck and driving off. The engine started. No, I'm not going to search YouTube for the video, but you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dingley View Post
    A while back, one of my rowdy friends sent me a YouTube vid of Brazilian ag plane and ground crew. He's a redneck married to a Brazilian.
    It shows them wrapping a rope around the prop shaft, tying it to a P.U. truck and driving off. The engine started. No, I'm not going to search YouTube for the video, but you can.
    I have seen that video as well, give me the idea to do that rather than hand propping my push mower ;-)
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Yes. In survival school. Lots of protein in those dead bugs. On propellers, windshields, leading edges. They sorta taste like chicken. Once you get past the crust you got it licked.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dingley View Post
    I've seen film of a DC-3 being started that way. Apparently it wasn't that uncommon.

Seems like a cockpit kickstarter would work since legs are stronger than arms. My Chief had a lever starter that barely worked and I removed it.