Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doc, FiFi, Doolittle, Blue Angeles

When I first started at General Dynamics in 1982, I was given a tour of the facility. We approached the main test lab where we'd be testing our products, which was located a few hundred feet from the runway. Just about when we reached the door, this un-painted F-16 does a full AB takeoff, and right about even with us went into a full vertical ballistic departure. To a newbie having his first exposure to what an F-16 could do, it was eye-watering. And that F-16, BTW, was one of the new birds that was destined to become a Thunderbird during their transition to that airframe. Even 30 years later, whenever a plane would kick in the "reheaters", ALL employees walking in from the parking lot would stop and gaze skyward. Whenever a B-1 did it, every car alarm in the lot would go off.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    The fact is that the jet teams are huge crowd draws, not just for the non-EAA members who drive in from here and there in WI, but for many of us who fly in. I'd come anyway, but having the Blue Angels, the Thunderbirds, or the Canadian Snowbirds in addition to the usual performers is icing on the cake. These are the finest pilots of the services, and I think it's an honor to have them come. Their dedication to what they do is exemplary--and they may very well be what spurs members of the next generation to become aviators. And don't forget--if push comes to shove, these young men and women will be on the front lines of any future aerial combat.

Noise? Put on your headsets, or put earplugs in your ears. Airplanes are noisy! The noisiest of all are the Marine Harriers. You can't come to an event such as OSH and not expect it to be noisy. To me, there's nothing better than a pair of Mustangs that taking off at 6:02 a.m. only 50 yards from my tent--better than any alarm clock I can think of.

Cary
    +1

Cary, comparing the sound of a Merlin in a Mustang takeoff, for a moment, to the noise made by a jet team in an hour long act is like comparing rap music from a boom box to a piano playing Beethoven
    The Merlin not only sounds a lot better, but is nowhere near as noisy. Ears are not damaged by the takeoff sound or even fly by sound of a Merlin, unless you were really close, it might be heard over the airport but it does stop conversation and doesn't require ear plugs to avoid ear damage. .

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Cary, comparing the sound of a Merlin in a Mustang takeoff, for a moment, to the noise made by a jet team in an hour long act is like comparing rap music from a boom box to a piano playing Beethoven
    The Merlin not only sounds a lot better, but is nowhere near as noisy. Ears are not damaged by the takeoff sound or even fly by sound of a Merlin, unless you were really close, it might be heard over the airport but it does stop conversation and doesn't require ear plugs to avoid ear damage. .
    To each, his own, Bill. I love both, the purr of a Merlin and the scream of the jets. They both are music in my ears.

Can't please all the people all of the time.

My two favorite moments from last year... the "dawn patrol" flight of Mustangs, and a low F4 Phantom pass over a large gathering of RV builders/owners. I hadn't heard a Phantom in full song for a long, long time. Almost brought a tear to my eye.

The air shows... meh.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    The air shows... meh.
    I see your "meh" and raise to "naahhh". The exception are the shows at Ultralights, now those are just pure fun and put a big smile on my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    I see your "meh" and raise to "naahhh". The exception are the shows at Ultralights, now those are just pure fun and put a big smile on my face.
    I'll take your "naah" and raise you by a "visit the vendor booths" or a "Find some shade, drink a beer, and read a book."

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    My two favorite moments from last year... the "dawn patrol" flight of Mustangs....

My wife always says that is one her favorite things about AirVenture...the 6 am Merlin alarm clock. (Me too.) And Bill, I respectfully differ with your statement that a Merlin engine "does not stop conversations." Merlin engines certainly do stop conversations, as people look up and appreciate the source of the sound.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Is there any word if we will see a demonstration by fat Albert?

Fat Albert is listed with the Blue Angels during the Friday and Saturday airshow, as well as Fat Albert Demo for the Saturday night airshow, which should be pretty cool.