Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doc, FiFi, Doolittle, Blue Angeles

Doc, FiFi, Doolittle, Blue Angeles

Now if EAA could get ALL to fly the same day...sure would be nice for us photographers.

Oshkosh doesn't need the bogus Blue Angel burn line. I'd rather sit close to the taxiway than not see the blue angels due to v-tail Bonanza obstruction. 23 year member, 35th Oshkosh.

Agreed - if you want to see the Blue Angels there are plenty of other shows they will appear at. Sitting close to the taxi way is one of the best things about Oshkosh and allows some great up close photo opportunities. For me it ruins both the Friday and Saturday air shows so those are the days I leave early. This is 2 years running this revised crowd line is present and it is sad that EAA have not taken any notice of the complaints after last year. What I find really frustrating is that the modified burn line is in place for the whole show - why not put the Blue Angels on first and then allow the crowd to move forward for the rest of the flying display. I note from the schedule that there will be several familiarisation flights on previous days so I hope the revised burn line is not in force on those days.

I dont know how the non pilot gen public feels or even what segment of the public at Oshkosh is made up of this. Perhaps most of the crowd is acutually pilots or informed viewers, but for me, and I have heard others say the same thing, Id prefer not to have a big jet team at Airventure. It has nothing to do with gen aviation, takes up a lot of space, costs a fortune that could be better spent, and the noise impact makes it unpleasant to be most anywhere on the grounds, especially if they still fly over the crowd as in the past. So I try to avoid Oshkosh on the days the jet teams are there, but that takes 2 days out of my convention that I go a long ways to attend and at a considerable cost. EAA made this better in the past by scheduling the jet team as the last act of the day on Sat and Sun which is considerate so that I can have most of the day there and just leave at mid afternoon. Even then, if you are on the north side at a hotel or the terminal the noise hits you. And as Paul says there are plenty of other places to see a jet act if that is what you want.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 06-29-2017 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    ...EAA made this better in the past by scheduling the jet team as the last act of the day on Sat and Sun which is considerate so that I can have most of the day there and just leave at mid afternoon....
    I agree with your points. But it's probably not EAA that wants to put the jets last. Personal experience - the Blues normally insist on being the closing act. Big stars close, they don't open.

And the "burn line" is an FAA thing, not just for the Blues or the T-birds.

PS we all know Lost Angeles normally votes blue, but the name of the United States Navy's flight demonstration squadron is the BLUE ANGELS would someone please change the spelling on the thread title?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
    PS we all know Lost Angeles normally votes blue, but the name of the United States Navy's flight demonstration squadron is the BLUE ANGELS would someone please change the spelling on the thread title?
    And here I thought the subject was the "naughty stores" in Southern California

Ron "Finally a subject I'm knowledgeable on" Wanttaja

I'm excited to see the Blue Angels. I am most interested in the Jet Warbirds and Military Aviation as well as WWII Aviation. These are my main reasons for coming. The Blue Angels are a once in a lifetime opportunity for many and I'm really looking forward to seeing them perform right here at Oshkosh! FLY NAVY!!!! I get the burn line is not ideal and I agree with you guys on that. It's an FAA thing though and if we want to see the Blues perform it is what it is. I love jet power and the Blues are the pinnacle of Military aviation. It's an honor to have them at Oshkosh!

Airplanes are noisy - jet airplanes are VERY noisy - that hermaphrodite Jack Link's biplane with the jet engine is SUPER noisy and annoying..... and all are part of what makes Airventure...Airventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    I dont know how the non pilot gen public feels or even what segment of the public at Oshkosh is made up of this. Perhaps most of the crowd is acutually pilots or informed viewers, but for me, and I have heard others say the same thing, Id prefer not to have a big jet team at Airventure. It has nothing to do with gen aviation, takes up a lot of space, costs a fortune that could be better spent, and the noise impact makes it unpleasant to be most anywhere on the grounds, especially if they still fly over the crowd as in the past. So I try to avoid Oshkosh on the days the jet teams are there, but that takes 2 days out of my convention that I go a long ways to attend and at a considerable cost. EAA made this better in the past by scheduling the jet team as the last act of the day on Sat and Sun which is considerate so that I can have most of the day there and just leave at mid afternoon. Even then, if you are on the north side at a hotel or the terminal the noise hits you. And as Paul says there are plenty of other places to see a jet act if that is what you want.
    I would absolutely eliminate the jet teams and the related crowd lines, and I think most EAA members would agree. EAA, on the other hand, likes collecting $$$ from Marge and Larry who drive in from Madison, and who wouldn't come (and pay admission, buy $5 Pepsi's, etc) if the Blues or T-Birds weren't there...

The fact is that the jet teams are huge crowd draws, not just for the non-EAA members who drive in from here and there in WI, but for many of us who fly in. I'd come anyway, but having the Blue Angels, the Thunderbirds, or the Canadian Snowbirds in addition to the usual performers is icing on the cake. These are the finest pilots of the services, and I think it's an honor to have them come. Their dedication to what they do is exemplary--and they may very well be what spurs members of the next generation to become aviators. And don't forget--if push comes to shove, these young men and women will be on the front lines of any future aerial combat.

Noise? Put on your headsets, or put earplugs in your ears. Airplanes are noisy! The noisiest of all are the Marine Harriers. You can't come to an event such as OSH and not expect it to be noisy. To me, there's nothing better than a pair of Mustangs that taking off at 6:02 a.m. only 50 yards from my tent--better than any alarm clock I can think of.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee