Thread: Hello Everyone!

Big Grin Hello Everyone!

Hey everyone, first post for me here.
    My name is Chris and I am from Roanoke, VA. I'm 32 and getting ready to start out for my PPL and possibly going back to school for aeronautical engineering to pursue a career in aviation. I have long been fascinated with the world of aviation since I was in about 4th grade. My best friends father was a chief inspector here for US Air and then had to transfer to Pittsburgh after they changed to US Airways. We spent a lot of time at the airport watching planes take off, land, hanging around in the hangars where he worked(here and in Pittsburgh) while he showed us how everything worked as well as why it worked(seeing 737's torn apart inside and out at a young age fascinated me tremendously.) All the way up through high school we would fly to Pittsburgh to visit his dad and catch the occasional hockey game(Go Pens!), but after high school we all went on our own ways as most do. My friend is now a captain for Delta and we speak more regularly, which has reignited my fascination, so I have decided to take on a light sport build while I obtain my PPL.

Coming into it from this aspect, however, I had no clue where to start so here I am. I've tried to reach out to my local EAA Chapter but have had no luck with any of my emails being returned. That being said, I'm here to learn from all of you, and hopefully be able to help some other newcomers sometime down the line. My apologies for the long post, but I respect each of you that participate in aviation, especially the EAA for being more family oriented in regards to this whole other world. I look forward to talking and learning from you guys, so a big thanks in advance!

Welcome! Sorry to hear your local chapter has been less than hospitable. If you're ever in the D.C. area let me know. We have a very active chapter (186) at Manassas (KHEF) and I'm always willing to talk airplanes, RVs in particular.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Thanks! I used to be in DC a lot, well, Manassas Park. I've heard that a lot of EAA folks aren't too fond of the 103 ultralights so I figured maybe I was shunned away for that reason but it could an out of date website with outdated contact information. DC may be a good ways out until I'm comfortable flying in a high traffic airspace... we have really low traffic, but being surrounded by mountains we have to watch out constant variable winds as well as some pretty gnarly windshear if you don't have enough altitude over the mountains. Good to know there's some people on here that are close though!

Hang in there! Unfortunately some chapters are less than enthusiastic about certain segments of aviation. I'm blessed to be in a chapter where all are welcome-- we have significant participation by members who are nether pilots, builders, nor owners--they simply have a love for aviation.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

It could be that your local chapter is not real hospitable. It could also be that they have an email address that is essentially abandoned, or that the person who's supposed to respond just doesn't. I'd say find out when their meetings are held and go to one.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    Hang in there! Unfortunately some chapters are less than enthusiastic about certain segments of aviation. I'm blessed to be in a chapter where all are welcome-- we have significant participation by members who are nether pilots, builders, nor owners--they simply have a love for aviation.
    That sounds like a pretty good gig, hopefully it's not that they don't care to cater to anyone on a true ultralight. I want to build something bigger later on down the line...the RV's are really nice and I thoroughly enjoy watching the build videos on youtube...but if I attempted to build one now I'd have to add at least 20 or 30k to the cost for a divorce attorney haha
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    It could be that your local chapter is not real hospitable. It could also be that they have an email address that is essentially abandoned, or that the person who's supposed to respond just doesn't. I'd say find out when their meetings are held and go to one.
    I am hoping it's just a forgotten email, but I have actually looked at their calendar, which is updated, and every meeting they have is located at a local restaurant at 1:00 p.m. so the best I can figure is that it's more than likely a group of retired guys lol. I really wanted to hook up with the local chapter just to make some connections and make friends that can fly with and guide me into this but it looks like I'll have my private certificate before that happens lol

We would be glad to have you attend our chapter 1202 meetings and activities. We meet on the second Saturday @ KFVX for breakfast at 8:00 meeting at 9:00 hang around and BS for a while and usually a gaggle of us will fly somewhere for lunch. As know EAA really stands for Eat At Airport.

I appreciate that but I'm a good ways away from Farmville lol

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheH View Post
    Hey everyone, first post for me here.
    My name is Chris and I am from Roanoke, VA. I'm 32 and getting ready to start out for my PPL and possibly going back to school for aeronautical engineering to pursue a career in aviation. I have long been fascinated with the world of aviation since I was in about 4th grade. My best friends father was a chief inspector here for US Air and then had to transfer to Pittsburgh after they changed to US Airways. We spent a lot of time at the airport watching planes take off, land, hanging around in the hangars where he worked(here and in Pittsburgh) while he showed us how everything worked as well as why it worked(seeing 737's torn apart inside and out at a young age fascinated me tremendously.) All the way up through high school we would fly to Pittsburgh to visit his dad and catch the occasional hockey game(Go Pens!), but after high school we all went on our own ways as most do. My friend is now a captain for Delta and we speak more regularly, which has reignited my fascination, so I have decided to take on a light sport build while I obtain my PPL.

Coming into it from this aspect, however, I had no clue where to start so here I am. I've tried to reach out to my local EAA Chapter but have had no luck with any of my emails being returned. That being said, I'm here to learn from all of you, and hopefully be able to help some other newcomers sometime down the line. My apologies for the long post, but I respect each of you that participate in aviation, especially the EAA for being more family oriented in regards to this whole other world. I look forward to talking and learning from you guys, so a big thanks in advance!

Hey Chris,

Would you be willing to shoot me an email so we can discuss your experience? I have a few thoughts on ways to participate locally and want to get your feedback. ecernjar@eaa.org

Thanks,
    Eric
    Eric Cernjar, EAA # 1133654

Absolutely! Emailing you as we speak, sir. Thanks!