Thread: Accelerated primary training - good idea?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Accelerated primary training - good idea?

I have been having trouble making progress with flight training in my spare time over the last couple of years. I've passed my written and accumulated 16 hours of dual - fairly comfortable now with basic pattern work in a C150, but not yet soloed. To make matters worse, my local flying club closes down for the winter.

I'm looking into the possibility of taking a week or two off of work this winter (fortunately I'm self employed) and finding a flight school that can give me concentrated, full time instruction. I have seen advertisements for 2 week courses which include ground school. I am hoping that by devoting my full attention to the challenge, I can make some substantial progress at least, and perhaps even complete my PPL.

I would appreciate any advice and opinions from the forum on a) is a sensible approach, and b) how to do it right. Recommendations of good flight schools, or things to avoid are certainly appreciated as well. Tips on keeping costs down are also helpful.

Thanks,
    Dan from Maine

Yes, go do it for sure, and leave a little extra time beyond the 2 weeks if you can so you get the rating.There is a previous thread on here on just this, I wrote about 3 schools in Winter Haven,Florida and others did also, and I think one in Georgia. I'd defintely go with the one that gives the 2 week course, don't let someone tell you it can't be done.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 11-12-2011 at 11:21 PM.

Bill: Thank you. I did (I think) find you other thread, but don't recall any reference to a school in GA. I have inquired at Tailwheels, etc. and received encouraging response. I have also inquired at Lockwood Aviation. I'm interested in any reviews of these and similar schools.

I appreciate your encouraging words. I am quite confident that I CAN do it, but uncertain about just HOW to do it. The risk of committing a block of time (away from work and home) and substantial chunk of money makes me cautious. I have been spoiled locally by a wonderful little flying club where I can fly at little more than operating cost. But I don't have access to consistent instruction, and life keeps interfering, so I have not been able to make progress. I hope to kick-start the whole thing, but want to make sure I'm not kidding myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Yes, go do it for sure, and leave a little extra time beyond the 2 weeks if you can so you get the rating.There is a previous thread on here on just this, I wrote about 3 schools in Winter Haven,Florida and others did also, and I think one in Georgia. I'd defintely go with the one that gives the 2 week course, don't let someone tell you it can't be done.

Winter Haven is a nice place, just don't go for a swim in any of the lakes. Check the weather, I bet its good there now. And if you really want to become a pilot , as opposed to just nibbling at the edges, then go do it. And if you have any spare time like on an off day, there is lot;s to see nearby like Kermit Week's Fantasy of Flight.

The other school reference was in N. Carolina

You say you have 16 hours in 150s. You don't say how that is spread out or fairly concentrated. Normally 16 hours would be plenty to solo, but if it is reallly spread out can take longer.
    If you go to the new school for the 2 weeks, you may want to stay with the 150-152, just to maximize your training, at least through solo. The next closest choice is a 172, frankly at sea level I like the 150 better, seems to be a little less sluggish in response and is cheaper.

If you have already passed your written then you are well on your way to being a pilot, Don't let anything stop you. Once you get the pilot license it is good for life ,just needs a biannual and/or medical to reactivate anytime down the road.
    I think the written is good for 2 years, so you want to get the flying in before you have to take the written again.
    If a school offers ground school, they proabably mean mostly to target the written so you may not need all of that. Can't hurt to repeat and refresh, though. It is kind of comforting to know that you do know all or most all the basic stuff.
    Good luck, frankly I think learning to get my private was a fun time, almost all new and exciting.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 11-13-2011 at 01:21 PM.

I had a great experience with Lockwood. They re-arranged their entire schedule for me. I flew every minute I was able to handle each day. They have done tons of these and are extremely professional. Their training was really first rate. They didn't just want you to pass; but, to be a well prepared pilot.