View Poll Results: What are your plans for ADS-B Compliance

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have already installed certified ADS-B Out in my airplane. I'm good to go.

7 21.21%
  • I have not yet installed certified ADS-B Out, but I intend to comply before Jan. 1, 2020.

8 24.24%
  • I have not yet installed certified ADS-B Out, but may consider sometime after Jan. 1, 2020.

9 27.27%
  • I have no intentions -- ever -- of installing certified ADS-B Out in my airplane

9 27.27%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Your plans for ADS-B Out compliance

Nearly fifty years of aviating including military and commercial without ADS-B. With thirty percent aviation decrease in general aviation I'm not too worried about the mid-air prevention aspect. I don't like Big Brother over my shoulder watching my every move. I can hear the howls coming when ADS-B makes privatization so much more streamlined for collection purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark van Wyk View Post
    2. I'm secretly hoping that the FAA is reading this and is getting concerned that so few airplane owners are installing ADS-B Out. I'm hoping the FAA can do something about the excessive cost of "certified" ADS-B Out installations and stop being so bureaucratic and certify more solutions and let the free market do it's magic and bring costs down, so that more airplanes have ADS-B Out.
    I'm sure the FAA couldn't care less about what we think. If they did, they wouldn't have cut off ADS-B for people using non-certified GPS sources. There are a number of things they COULD be doing to reduce cost and increase adoption, but they seem to be uninterested in any of them. All they have to do is make the rule and enforce it after 1/1/2020.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    I'm sure the FAA couldn't care less about what we think. If they did, they wouldn't have cut off ADS-B for people using non-certified GPS sources. There are a number of things they COULD be doing to reduce cost and increase adoption, but they seem to be uninterested in any of them. All they have to do is make the rule and enforce it after 1/1/2020.
    Can you say "agenda" - as in, keep pesky small planes out of the way of airliners by mandating installation of an expensive new transponder?
    Why isn't EAA or AOPA doing more to help cut the red tape bring cheaper solutions for small plane owners?

I had a friend fly in today. I saw this unit on his dash panel. I asked him if that was his ADS-B in-out. He said yes it is. I asked what did it cost. He said 300 bucks. I told him to send me a link.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I had a friend fly in today. I saw this unit on his dash panel. I asked him if that was his ADS-B in-out. He said yes it is. I asked what did it cost. He said 300 bucks. I told him to send me a link.

Tony
    What are you referring to? What unit on his dash panel?
    If it's a portable ADS-B Out, it might be used to "ping" the system so that he can receive ADS-B In, but the FAA is going to disable that soon, if they have not already. Eventually only certified, registered ADS-B Out will be able to ping the system.
    No way a portable is going to satisfy the ADS-B Out mandate. No way, no how. There are a handful of approved certified ADS-B Out models for sale. That's it.
    As for experimentals and LSAs, I hear there are cheaper solutions available, but my plane is certified, so I'm not paying attention to those.

Why isn't EAA or AOPA doing more to help cut the red tape bring cheaper solutions for small plane owners?
    AOPA leadership was fully behind the ADS-B mandate. One of the reasons I dropped them when they increased the dues again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    AOPA leadership was fully behind the ADS-B mandate. One of the reasons I dropped them when they increased the dues again.
    Were they? I certainly don't remember them figuratively "laying across the railroad tracks" to stop it. Which is what they should have done. Or at least, they should have pressed for more reasonable extents of the airspace.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post

Tony
    I'm pretty sure those aren't even legal anymore.

https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/faq/#q8

https://support.foreflight.com/hc/en...n-my-aircraft-

What are you referring to? What unit on his dash panel?
    If it's a portable ADS-B Out, it might be used to "ping" the system so that he can receive ADS-B In, but the FAA is going to disable that soon, if they have not already. Eventually only certified, registered ADS-B Out will be able to ping the system.
    No way a portable is going to satisfy the ADS-B Out mandate. No way, no how. There are a handful of approved certified ADS-B Out models for sale. That's it.
    As for experimentals and LSAs, I hear there are cheaper solutions available, but my plane is certified, so I'm not paying attention to those.
    Seeing how this is an EAA site that stands for Experimental, I am talking about experimental. I can say this about my friend. He is an award winner at Oshkosh for his work. But I will not share the link he sends me.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Were they? I certainly don't remember them figuratively "laying across the railroad tracks" to stop it. Which is what they should have done. Or at least, they should have pressed for more reasonable extents of the airspace.
    The AOPA President at the time (cant remember his name) even wrote a couple articles in the magazine saying how ADS-B was wonderful, in one he told about how it saved his wife from getting busted for entering the DC no fly zone (or something like that) because the records proved exactly where their plane was at the time. Personally, I don't want the government to be able to know exactly where I am at any time, but then I am one of those nuts that keeps location services disabled on my phone. All ADS-B is is a way to eventually implement a pay for FAA services scheme.