View Poll Results: What are your plans for ADS-B Compliance

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have already installed certified ADS-B Out in my airplane. I'm good to go.

7 21.21%
  • I have not yet installed certified ADS-B Out, but I intend to comply before Jan. 1, 2020.

8 24.24%
  • I have not yet installed certified ADS-B Out, but may consider sometime after Jan. 1, 2020.

9 27.27%
  • I have no intentions -- ever -- of installing certified ADS-B Out in my airplane

9 27.27%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Your plans for ADS-B Out compliance

Poll: Your plans for ADS-B Out compliance

Where do you stand regarding ADS-B Out mandate compliance. Are you going to comply? Thinking about it? Refuse to comply?
    I personally have done research on how much time and money it would take to make my C-150H ADS-B Out compliant. It's not particularly easy or cheap, IMHO. YMMV. I would be interested in seeing where others stand in complying with this mandate.
    I chose the third option. Maybe, sometime after 2020.

We did one airplane when the GDL88 came out, will do the other one before the mandate takes effect.

Jim

My aircraft is basically a fat ultralight, and since I don't fly in areas that require a radio, let alone a transponder, I think I'll pass on ADSB.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I plan on complying at some point before the deadline, but I just haven't quite figured out the method yet. Every time I start to formulate a plan, some new piece of equipment gets introduced that makes me step back and rethink. I'll get there eventually!
    Cheers!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by WacoJoe View Post
    I plan on complying at some point before the deadline, but I just haven't quite figured out the method yet. Every time I start to formulate a plan, some new piece of equipment gets introduced that makes me step back and rethink. I'll get there eventually!
    I've posted this same poll on three other aviation forums. Similar results. About a third (on average) have already complied, the other two thirds are in various stages of "thinking about it." I have also done research and pricing, and it's a fairly complex installation and not at all cheap. Some new, simpler solutions appear to be on the horizon -- something from Levil called "the Beacon" (http://aviation.levil.com/products.html), but it's not certified yet. You'd think the FAA would be all over this to fast track it and get it approved so that more airplanes would comply. You'd think. I've heard there is a difference in price between "experimental" and "certified" ADS-B Out, but I have not seen anything for experimental that is much lower in price than certified.

Currently, this poll shows 2/3rds (66%) have no intention of meeting the deadline; a third have no intention of ever complying. The other third are either in compliance or plan to be by the deadline.

Interesting as that does not match industry claim that people are rushing to comply before the deadline, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark van Wyk View Post
    I've posted this same poll on three other aviation forums. Similar results. About a third (on average) have already complied, the other two thirds are in various stages of "thinking about it." I have also done research and pricing, and it's a fairly complex installation and not at all cheap. Some new, simpler solutions appear to be on the horizon -- something from Levil called "the Beacon" (http://aviation.levil.com/products.html), but it's not certified yet. You'd think the FAA would be all over this to fast track it and get it approved so that more airplanes would comply. You'd think. I've heard there is a difference in price between "experimental" and "certified" ADS-B Out, but I have not seen anything for experimental that is much lower in price than certified.

I won't consider it until it's cost is less than 5% of my airplane.

Both of mine are "non electric" or no charging system so it's "out" (no pun intended) for me. Besides one of the reasons I sold my Cherokee was the seemingly ever present bills for radio and transponder work. My $200 hand held works just fine for my type of flying.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Quote Originally Posted by Morrie Caudill View Post
    I won't consider it until it's cost is less than 5% of my airplane.
    I don't know what your plane is worth, but this:

http://www.uavionix.com/products/echo-uat/

is only $1K, and works with your existing transponder.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Zeitlin View Post
    I don't know what your plane is worth, but this:

http://www.uavionix.com/products/echo-uat/

is only $1K, and works with your existing transponder.
    If you don't have an approved WAAS GPS, you'll need to add one. Uavionix plans to have one ready in a month or two for ~$500 if you can wait.

I spoke to them at length at SnF and came away impressed. I also spoke with the folks at the FAA staffed ADSB booth, who had good things to say about Uavionix's approach and products.