Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internationals?

Internationals?

Hi.

aimed at many of the international visitors coming to OSH.

What options do you usually take to get to the event, I'm assuming obviously flying into a major hub, but do many look at just car hire? What other CHEAP options are worth looking at.

im looking to come again for a 2nd visit, and I need the GBP has gone through the floor and airfares are pretty steep, I'm looking at options to offset the flight costs across the pond..

so far ive looked at various options, such flights to Minneapolis, Chicago, Toronto, and even NY, but NY is a 14h drive!!

cheers

Mike
    2016 1st time Oshkosh visitor, 2017 was hopeful but just not to be..but see my 2016 and upcoming 2018 adventure on mikelynnweb.wordpress.com Celebrating the RAF100

Chicago-Oshkosh is a 160 mile, 2-1/2 hour drive - easey-peasey. Rent a car at O'Hare. Of course lodging is harder to book. Most all economy motels within a reasonable drive to Wittman have been booked solid for months. there are still rooms available but/////bring money -lol

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    Chicago-Oshkosh is a 160 mile, 2-1/2 hour drive - easey-peasey. Rent a car at O'Hare. Of course lodging is harder to book. Most all economy motels within a reasonable drive to Wittman have been booked solid for months. there are still rooms available but/////bring money -lol

I'd add that camping at Camp Scholler is probably the most economical way to stay if that's an option! It can be a bit of a logistics hassle to get your gear sent ahead of you, but it has certainly been done many times!
    Eric Cernjar, EAA # 1133654

As pointed out, Chicago isn't that bad of a drive. MKE isn't much closer in practice. If you get a connecting flight into ATW, then it's a short hop down on the bus to Oshkosh (or one year I just managed to wrangle a lift with a guy on my flight who had a car booked). No flights direct into OSH anymore.

If I were flying in commercial, I'd try for a flight to Appleton (ATW). There are shuttles all during Airventure between Appleton and Oshkosh. And I'd tent at Scholler. As it is, I fly in my airplane and camp with it. Although there are those who argue that motorhoming or travel trailering is "better", one of the perks of flying in is being able to be on the flight line, or very close, and I like that. It's part of the "Oshkosh experience". But get a good tent!

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    As pointed out, Chicago isn't that bad of a drive.
    Hi. Yes I did the drive from Chicago for the first time last year, I had my hire car at around 3pm after clearing customs earlier than I expected, and drove straight to OSH, I was conscious of time as I'd seen plenty of road works on the west bound route past Chicago so ended up going straight up and hit some traffic around Milwaukee but worked out I think i arrived about 3hours later at the dorms. Drive back on the Saturday morning was pretty much the same..

i cant believe flights to Chicago at the moment are around the £800 mark... :-(. ($1200).
    2016 1st time Oshkosh visitor, 2017 was hopeful but just not to be..but see my 2016 and upcoming 2018 adventure on mikelynnweb.wordpress.com Celebrating the RAF100

Have you considered booking a fare from London to Appleton with your preferred airline? The Chicago to Appleton leg will add a little extra cost but will be cheaper than buying a separate Chicago to Appleton fare.

I have attended twice from Australia and purchased return LAX to ATW (via ORD) fares with United that were reasonably priced. My preferred accommodation was the University of Wisconsin dorms from where shuttle buses regularly leave for Osh.

I have never attempted to drive on the 'wrong' side of the road. I hope this helps.

I'm English - Have been driving ORD-OSH-ORD for the last 35 years every year. Relatively easy drive or fly LHR-ATW - Virgin/Delta - usually via DFW, sometimes cheaper than LHR-ORD. Driving "wrong" side is no problem and I've driven Louisiana, Texas, Alabam and Florida - in fact Houston to Pensacola via I-10 or Highway 90 (much prettier) and as a side story - vacated New Orleans with wife and her 10 year old niece 2 days before Katrina. A drive that I would prefer to forget from West Bank to MSY, broke every rule in the book !! Drive like that in the UK and I would have been awarded 2 push bikes. ORD to OSh is much prettier on Hway 45/12 then 21/45 to I-41 - nice villages to stop in rather thn I-294/I-94/ I hate that interstate.

Hello There - I'm English and have been driving ORD-OSH-ORD every year for the last 35 years so no problem with "wrong" side, I've also driven Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida many times - I-10 or Highway 90 (more scenic) I also vacated New Orleans with wife and her 10 year old niece 2 days before Katrina, West Bank to MSY is a drive that I prefer to forget - broke every rule in the book. Flying - can be cheaper to go LHR-ATW usually via Detroit or try Green Bay (GRB) If you can navigate then try driving ORD-OSH via highway 12/45 to 21/45 to I-41, longer but nicer and you avoid I-294/I-94 - I hate that road.

The best fares that I can find are LGW-JFK £650-00 by Norwegian and then about £350-00 AA JFK-ATW other wise it is over £1,200 LHR-ORD. Hope that this helps. If you are confident with driving then maybe any flight to Minneapolis or Boston - don't try New York - car rental is extortionate.