Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Driving to Airventure

I have our two cars and my children's cars on one account.

Cary, I dont remember any legal lecture upon arriving at Chanute and certainly not one to upset me or put me to sleep. It was just a depressing place. I had just come out of a near ideal situation as a senior in college, in a nice fun town and a 3 hour drive away from home and family. Had friends, great girl friend ,both honor roll members, and when not having to study there was so much fun to do there, and I really liked the intellectual atmosphere of a major university where ideas and learning were respected. I foolishly joined the air force as some idea of my duty, despite having my doctor offer a deferment due to an injury. It was vallid, I could take his offer, wish I had. I also coached the girls intermural football team and we came within one play of winning the league.A challenge but lots of fun. College was fun and smart people were everywhere.
    All this time Nam was becoming worse and worse, a major division in our country.My neighbor, two years older, had just come back from a year in Nam with the advice, "dont go". There was no sense of patriotism of fighting Hitler or Tojo. We had our own bad guy in TX with LBJ. And by this time it was obvious to any open minded person that we were not winning in Nam no matter how much we bombed.
    Basic training was everything bad that college had good. Such a negative atmosphere, with some really dumb people in charge. First direct racisim that I had seen. No one that you wanted to follow, let alone risk your life for. I did ok physically, actulaly had the 2nd fastest obstacle course time, but the lack of sleep wore me down so that at Chunute I got mono.
    It was just so hard to train for something opposite all reason, to take part in a war which by then was obviously wrong, and to do it under those who didnt engender respect. Officer school was offered, might have led to being a pilot, but I just wanted out. I knew that path was not for me, and not the team I felt part of. I did it, but it was waste.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 04-12-2017 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Cary, I dont remember any legal lecture upon arriving at Chanute and certainly not one to upset me or put me to sleep. It was just a depressing place. I had just come out of a near ideal situation as a senior in college, in a nice fun town and a 3 hour drive away from home and family. Had friends, great girl friend ,both honor roll members, and when not having to study there was so much fun to do there, and I really liked the intellectual atmosphere of a major university where ideas and learning were respected. I foolishly joined the air force as some idea of my duty, despite having my doctor offer a deferment due to an injury. It was vallid, I could take his offer, wish I had. I also coached the girls intermural football team and we came within one play of winning the league.A challenge but lots of fun. College was fun and smart people were everywhere.
    All this time Nam was becoming worse and worse, a major division in our country.My neighbor, two years older, had just come back from a year in Nam with the advice, "dont go". There was no sense of patriotism of fighting Hitler or Tojo. We had our own bad guy in TX with LBJ. And by this time it was obvious to any open minded person that we were not winning in Nam no matter how much we bombed.
    Basic training was everything bad that college had good. Such a negative atmosphere, with some really dumb people in charge. First direct racisim that I had seen. No one that you wanted to follow, let alone risk your life for. I did ok physically, actulaly had the 2nd fastest obstacle course time, but the lack of sleep wore me down so that at Chunute I got mono.
    It was just so hard to train for something opposite all reason, to take part in a war which by then was obviously wrong, and to do it under those who didnt engender respect. Officer school was offered, might have led to being a pilot, but I just wanted out. I knew that path was not for me, and not the team I felt part of. I did it, but it was waste.
    I can't complain about my USAF "career", although I agree that the hatred that developed around the wind down of Viet Nam was deplorable. I did a lot of growing up--it's always amazing how adult we think we are at age 21 or so, which really we aren't. I learned a lot about myself, about how to relate to others. In the legal area, there were actually some superbly fine people--and some dunces, too, of course, but by and large, good folks. And the coup de grace was that near the end of my time at Elmendorf, I learned to fly!

I had put in my resignation and knew that I was getting out in May 1973, and I also had realized that my new post as Chief of Military Justice for Alaskan Air Command didn't require 40 hours/week. My boss was an ex fighter jock, so I asked him if I could take the time to learn to fly. His answer was perfect, "I don't care where you are, as long as you get your work done." So out of a 5 day week, I spent 2 or 3 really long days at the office and 2 or 3 days at the Aeroclub, learning to fly. My first lesson was on November 29, 1972, and I took my checkride the first week of February 1973. In spite of learning through the Anchorage winter, I don't think I missed more than 1 or 2 lessons the entire time due to weather.

And to keep this relevant to this thread, I first flew to OSH (long before it was called Airventure) in 1979. I've lost track of how many times I've flown in recent years, but I've enjoyed it so much that the last couple of times, I've flown in the Friday before and left the Monday after--mine was the last airplane to leave last year, I think.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

We come up from Atlanta and take 75 to 24 through Nashville then to I-57 North to Champaign IL then cut over on 74 W to I 39 North to Madison (94) then take US 151 to FonduLac Wi then North to Oshkosh only traffic is Chattanooga and Nashville and not too bad the rest is a easy ride

Some take I65 North out of Nashville through Louisville and Indy to 80-94 and then 294-94 to WI through Miulwaukee but 294 can be tough as well depending on the time

Avoid 80-94 through Indiana I just drove that from Chicago to MI and back it is a nightmare all underconstruction and the trucks are all out there very heavy traffic along that corridor and never go through Chicago