Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Driving to Airventure

I did check with the, https://www.illinoistollway.com/toll...on/about-ipass and got some good info. They said to get the pass about a month in advance, it cost $30.00 and is good in Indiana also. I figure I would be paying that in tolls anyway, in route plus the return trip and not having to stop at the cash booths !!!
    Bob

Here is a map where the I-Pass and EZ Pass operate:

http://www.e-zpassiag.com/about-e-zpass/85-map

Cary, cant believe you were at Rantoul, Chanute. I was there for tech school late 69. A really depressing place. My best day was when I found out that if you had an A average in your field of training, mine was mechanic, that you got to leave 2 weeks early. So I, who was a C student mostly in college studied every spare moment and too good believe I got to leave 2 weeks early. I used to go 50 miles south on the train to Champaign and Univ of Illinois on free weekends to see some normal people and try to stay sane. I had just come from that idealic type of college environment 3 months before. and Chanute was about as opposite as could be. I just felt like it was a waste of time and didnt have anyone there that I had anything in common with. I dont know what it would have been like if we'd have been in a war like 1942, but there was nothing to feel patriotic nor optimistic about Vietnam at that late date. My only objective was to get out of there. I was sleepy everyday and had a low grade fever, had to eat asprins, but coulnt take time off to go to doctor. When I got home I went to my doctor who said I had the worst case of mono he had ever seen. He diagnosed me even before the lab test result came in, and it took me 4 months to recover.
    I never went to Vietnam, so never shot anyone or was shot at, but lots of people were not so lucky.

P S, I dont know much about driving through Chicago, but when I was at Chanute it just after all the fires and killings in Chicago.

I used to live in SW Michigan and also western New York, so I have a lot of experience going through or around Chicago to get home to Wisconsin. I did buy an I-Pass a few years ago... put $50 down, ten bucks is security deposit and the rest on account to pay tolls. Might save as much as an hour.

My tactic is to listen to the traffic reports when I am still 50 miles away, and make a decision to go through or around, based on traffic. Lots of stations give them. I usually listen to AM 780, which gives "traffic and weather on the 8s." If it is moving OK, I prefer going through downtown and the Skyway. It seems more direct. But it is also more likely to have congestion. Otherwise I-294 will take you around and most often is moving, with occasional slow downs at toll collections and exit or entrance ramps. This is why the I-Pass is so worth it, you don't have to slow for tolls.

Also, the navigation app WAZE is incredibly helpful to advise you of slow downs ahead, alternate routes, where police are, accidents in your path, etc.

Thanks for the map Chicago Randy, I'll be going through N.C. Tn. Ky. In and Ill. so it will come in handy. I have thought about down loading the WAZE app but I don't travel much for work anymore and my town only has one Caution light, so I get around pretty well without it. LOL
    Last edited by robert l; 04-06-2017 at 06:18 AM.

Happy to help - I've lived in this city on the S/W side near Midway Airport for 68 years....so far -lol....... and I too turn on talk radio before deciding on a 'thru the Loop' or 'out west to the Tollway' to get North. Thru the Loop is the shortest distance and free but most times is a traffic mess of frustration. I typically go out of my way to the Tollway on I55 west just to save the grief. It costs a little more in gas and of course the tolls but I'm willing to pay for the peace of mind and body.

If you like an interesting diversion, drive to Ludington, Michigan on the shore of lake Michigan and take the SS Badger ferry across the lake to Manitowoc, Wisconsin. It is the last coal fired, steam powered ferry in the country. It takes 4 hours to cross the lake and really avoids all of Chicago and Illinois. It is a very relaxing trip.

www.ssbadger.com

We take the Badger usually two or three times a year, and it really is a pleasant trip and nice to avoid Chicago traffic. It is not inexpensive, however, and while it saves you driving and grief, it does not save you time. You have to be there before it sails and wait for your vehicle afterwards.

I drive in every year from Detroit. I take I-94 thru Michigan. When you get into Indiana it connects to I-80. I take that to I-355 which runs along the western edge of Chicago. It ends at West Lake Cook Road. Turn right and take that back to I-94 which in that location is north of Chicago. It works pretty well for me. I will say that I-80 is crowded. I-355 is not bad but it is a toll road. If you do have to drive thru Chicago on I-94 stay in the express lanes they seem to move faster.