Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving to Airventure

It's been about 25 years since I last drove through the Chicago area, which means either that I've grown smarter or I have no need to put up with big city traffic. Maybe both. When I lived near there at Rantoul (Chanute AFB) almost 50 years ago, the traffic was awful, about what Denver is now, so I can't imagine what it must be like now. I'd avoid it at all costs.

You've gotten some pretty good advice, which is to change your routing. Good guess that to do so won't add all that much to your time or mileage (Mapquest is your friend). For instance, using Charleston as your start, if you plug in a stop at Normal, IL, your routing will be less than 100 miles farther and supposedly slightly over an hour longer--but you'll avoid Chicago altogether.

Or the better alternative, like many of us do: FLY! Much easier, much faster, and an adventure unto itself. Dodging Chicago again, my poky little airplane would do it in 7 flight hours, which is about what it takes me from my homedrome to OSH, a 3 leg, 2 enroute stop flight, a decent day of flying compared to 2 hard days of driving or maybe 3, depending on the weather and how tired I'm getting.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

If you do not have a plane or pilots certificate you may be able to hitch a ride with someone flying there through the EAA ride share program. It sure beats driving even if it is a long flight. Camping under the wing is great. Until the storms roll in. Then its hang on for the ride !!!!.

Robert, we come up from Savannah every year with our 28ft travel trailer. We have an Illinois Toll Pass for our vehicle and we take the 294 toll roads around Chicago. We come up 16 to 75 thru ATL then north out of BNA to South Bend then the 294 toll road west bound and then around Chicago to Milwaukee then to OSH. We make it a 2 day trip and it is long but worth it. Note do not go through Chicago and use the the Skyway with an RV... did it once..... never again. It can be busy, but the toll pass makes life easy on the roads.

mike w

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    In every state I have lived the camper or anything in tow must have a registration and placard in the form of a plate displayed on the rear. But I too have driven the pass lane by "accident" and never heard a word from anyone.
    I have a plate displayed on the rear. I got it off an old trailer at the junkyard. I use it on all my trailers, has DZUS fasteners for quick change....

Marty "just leave the law breaking to me" Mayes
    (with apologies to Ron W.)

Thanks guys, real good info here and thanks for the quick response. We would love to fly in but neither of us owns a plane so we would have to rent. OUCH ! We did rent a 172 out of Camden, S.C in 2015 for Sun N Fun. The guy gave us a break because my buddy used that same plane for most of his instrument training and has all but finished his commercial as well. But the FBO doesn't have a rental anymore. I'm all for taking a different route but my buddy gets a little anal when he's away from home. LOL We drove last year and on the way back to S.C. we hit a lot of road work that put us at a crawl. I thought my friend was going to get out of the truck and run. Seriously !!!
    Thanks, Bob

Lifelong Chicagoan here - come north however you choose and take the I294 toll road north into Wisconsin. Avoid the Chicago road system 7-10am and 3:00-6:00 pm and you'll pretty much breeze through.

For you toll scofflaws - shame on ya' folks - there is a sign after EVERY toll plaza and open road tolling underpass that says just go online and you have 7 days to pay the toll. Don't cheat my State and I won't cheat yours.

Thanks ChicagoRandy, if we make it this year I will try to work out the times you mentioned. Also, do you know if a temporary pass can be purchased for the toll roads? It would be nice to just zip though and not get a ticket in the mail. lol
    Thanks, Bob
    PS, So, the best times would be between about 11:00 am to 2:00 pm?
    Last edited by robert l; 04-04-2017 at 05:40 AM.

I've just gone through Chicago (Dan Ryan?) and just chose times to do it that would avoid rushes. Now that they have an EasyPass-compatible toll, I don't worry about it. Used to be you'd hit all those 40 cent tolls.

There's a singing group out of Madison that lists the history of Wisconsin and talks about Merriwether Lewis and Kimberly Clark exploring the area looking for the "bubbler" of youth. They knew they had strayed too far south when their indian guides stopped periodically to throw 40 cents into the bushes.

I found this a handy site when I came to the tolls on my planning last year.. http://www.illinoistollway.com/tolls...-by-toll-plaza
    2016 1st time Oshkosh visitor, 2017 was hopeful but just not to be..but see my 2016 and upcoming 2018 adventure on mikelynnweb.wordpress.com Celebrating the RAF100

You can buy an I-Pas online at https://www.illinoistollway.com/toll...on/about-ipass

You WILL save 50% on all tolls and it can be in your hands in a few weeks.