Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving to Airventure

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Driving to Airventure

This is my first time posting and I'm also new to the group so it's very possible I'm doing something wrong. But hey, I can take criticism ! Last year we drove from S.C. to Airventure, not bad but still it's a L O N G trip. Do any of y'all know of a good way to get around Chicago? I know with most cities the time of day or night will have a lot to do with how well the traffic flows so I am wondering if anyone here has some personal experience. Anything to make the experience less stressful. Any advice, ideas, suggestions or smart remarks are welcome.
    Thanks,
    Bob

This is so easy its almost funny..All you do is AVOID Chicago all together. If it was me coming up from SC I would not take that route. Go through Indy then head east on route 72 I believe it is. It's been a long time. IMHO take this route and have a very good trip. This is the route I take out of Central Illinois.

Name:  2017-04-03.jpg
Views: 1204
Size:  19.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    This is so easy its almost funny..All you do is AVOID Chicago all together. If it was me coming up from SC I would not take that route. Go through Indy then head east on route 72 I believe it is. It's been a long time. IMHO take this route and have a very good trip. This is the route I take out of Central Illinois.

Name:  2017-04-03.jpg
Views: 1204
Size:  19.9 KB
    i second that fact about going around Chicago. I am not the sharpest crayon, and I made that mistake TWICE. It seemed like it took as long to get through there as the other 1100 miles. It was a parking lot at both 2 pm and 2 am.
    rick

Robert, timing is the key. Plan your trip so you'll go through Chicago between 2 - 4 am. Otherwise, you'll have to add as much as 150 miles to your trip.

The only time that backfired was the sloskosh yr, the freeway system in metro Chicago serves a secondary duty as drainage ditches. Water was 3-4 feet deep in places and it takes 2-4 hrs to drain.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Robert, timing is the key. Plan your trip so you'll go through Chicago between 2 - 4 am. Otherwise, you'll have to add as much as 150 miles to your trip.

The only time that backfired was the sloskosh yr, the freeway system in metro Chicago serves a secondary duty as drainage ditches. Water was 3-4 feet deep in places and it takes 2-4 hrs to drain.
    It may just be me. But I would much prefer to drive an extra 150 miles of open road then deal with miles and miles and miles of stop and go traffic. Even if each trip or route are the exact same time of travel by the time you arrive. But again maybe this is just me.
    Last edited by 1600vw; 04-03-2017 at 08:46 AM.

and screw the toll boths, I just drive right through the in the pass lane. Perhaps my camper owes a lot of fees cause they can't photo the tag on my truck and I've never gotten a bill.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    and screw the toll boths, I just drive right through the in the pass lane. Perhaps my camper owes a lot of fees cause they can't photo the tag on my truck and I've never gotten a bill.
    In every state I have lived the camper or anything in tow must have a registration and placard in the form of a plate displayed on the rear. But I too have driven the pass lane by "accident" and never heard a word from anyone.

It's been about 25 years since I last drove through the Chicago area, which means either that I've grown smarter or I have no need to put up with big city traffic. Maybe both. When I lived near there at Rantoul (Chanute AFB) almost 50 years ago, the traffic was awful, about what Denver is now, so I can't imagine what it must be like now. I'd avoid it at all costs.

You've gotten some pretty good advice, which is to change your routing. Good guess that to do so won't add all that much to your time or mileage (Mapquest is your friend). For instance, using Charleston as your start, if you plug in a stop at Normal, IL, your routing will be less than 100 miles farther and supposedly slightly over an hour longer--but you'll avoid Chicago altogether.

Or the better alternative, like many of us do: FLY! Much easier, much faster, and an adventure unto itself. Dodging Chicago again, my poky little airplane would do it in 7 flight hours, which is about what it takes me from my homedrome to OSH, a 3 leg, 2 enroute stop flight, a decent day of flying compared to 2 hard days of driving or maybe 3, depending on the weather and how tired I'm getting.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    In every state I have lived the camper or anything in tow must have a registration and placard in the form of a plate displayed on the rear. But I too have driven the pass lane by "accident" and never heard a word from anyone.
    I have a plate displayed on the rear. I got it off an old trailer at the junkyard. I use it on all my trailers, has DZUS fasteners for quick change....

Marty "just leave the law breaking to me" Mayes
    (with apologies to Ron W.)

I drive in every year from Detroit. I take I-94 thru Michigan. When you get into Indiana it connects to I-80. I take that to I-355 which runs along the western edge of Chicago. It ends at West Lake Cook Road. Turn right and take that back to I-94 which in that location is north of Chicago. It works pretty well for me. I will say that I-80 is crowded. I-355 is not bad but it is a toll road. If you do have to drive thru Chicago on I-94 stay in the express lanes they seem to move faster.