Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving to Airventure

Driving to Airventure

This is my first time posting and I'm also new to the group so it's very possible I'm doing something wrong. But hey, I can take criticism ! Last year we drove from S.C. to Airventure, not bad but still it's a L O N G trip. Do any of y'all know of a good way to get around Chicago? I know with most cities the time of day or night will have a lot to do with how well the traffic flows so I am wondering if anyone here has some personal experience. Anything to make the experience less stressful. Any advice, ideas, suggestions or smart remarks are welcome.
    Thanks,
    Bob

This is so easy its almost funny..All you do is AVOID Chicago all together. If it was me coming up from SC I would not take that route. Go through Indy then head east on route 72 I believe it is. It's been a long time. IMHO take this route and have a very good trip. This is the route I take out of Central Illinois.

Name:  2017-04-03.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  19.9 KB

Well heck, That pic shows squat. Let me try this again.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Rock...836081!3e0!5i1

Yeah... go around it. I don't know that there IS a good time to go through Chicago, unless you want to do it late at night.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

What you will save in toll roads alone you can go out for a nice lunch. Have a fun and enjoyable trip. Life goes by so fast, soak in every second like a very nice sip of wine.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    This is so easy its almost funny..All you do is AVOID Chicago all together. If it was me coming up from SC I would not take that route. Go through Indy then head east on route 72 I believe it is. It's been a long time. IMHO take this route and have a very good trip. This is the route I take out of Central Illinois.

Name:  2017-04-03.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  19.9 KB
    i second that fact about going around Chicago. I am not the sharpest crayon, and I made that mistake TWICE. It seemed like it took as long to get through there as the other 1100 miles. It was a parking lot at both 2 pm and 2 am.
    rick

Robert, timing is the key. Plan your trip so you'll go through Chicago between 2 - 4 am. Otherwise, you'll have to add as much as 150 miles to your trip.

The only time that backfired was the sloskosh yr, the freeway system in metro Chicago serves a secondary duty as drainage ditches. Water was 3-4 feet deep in places and it takes 2-4 hrs to drain.

and screw the toll boths, I just drive right through the in the pass lane. Perhaps my camper owes a lot of fees cause they can't photo the tag on my truck and I've never gotten a bill.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Robert, timing is the key. Plan your trip so you'll go through Chicago between 2 - 4 am. Otherwise, you'll have to add as much as 150 miles to your trip.

The only time that backfired was the sloskosh yr, the freeway system in metro Chicago serves a secondary duty as drainage ditches. Water was 3-4 feet deep in places and it takes 2-4 hrs to drain.
    It may just be me. But I would much prefer to drive an extra 150 miles of open road then deal with miles and miles and miles of stop and go traffic. Even if each trip or route are the exact same time of travel by the time you arrive. But again maybe this is just me.
    Last edited by 1600vw; 04-03-2017 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    and screw the toll boths, I just drive right through the in the pass lane. Perhaps my camper owes a lot of fees cause they can't photo the tag on my truck and I've never gotten a bill.
    In every state I have lived the camper or anything in tow must have a registration and placard in the form of a plate displayed on the rear. But I too have driven the pass lane by "accident" and never heard a word from anyone.