Thread: American Airlines Copilot dies in flight

American Airlines Copilot dies in flight

I just heard this on the news. So sad, I thought the medical this pilot went through was suppose to keep this from happening or catch something like this so one does not die at the controls. I wonder how many times this has happened? I am sure Ron can offer some insight.

R.I.P. and so sad.

Tony

Purpose of the medical is to try and mitigate the possibility of this happening. Makes it less likely but can't prevent it entirely. I suspect that is why there are two pilots on board.

Has happened before. But in the scheme of things, the number of uneventful landings vis a vis a landing wherein something like this occurs, is probably 99.999%.

Can the success rate be attributed to screening of an ATP pilot every six months? I suspect so.

Yea I guess any of us can go at any time. This had to be awful for the pilot. Cannot imagine. So sad.

My condolences to the family and friend of this person.

Tony

Doctors and hospitals and medical tests can do a lot. What they can't do is see into the future, no more than any of us can. Tailwinds and blue skies, brother.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

The purpose of the FAA medical is to ensure an airman has no known medical condition that could interfere with his ability to pilot an aircraft. Most of that is determined by what the pilot voluntarily discloses about his medical history. The in-office measurement of vitals barley qualifies as a snapshot of a person's health.

Knowing nothing about this pilot's overall health or biomarkers can't say if there were any warning signs or symptoms of impending sudden death. With enough information we can certainly use statistics to "predict" future health and probability of sudden death. It's just not part of the current medical process and not many people will pursue that information on their own.

Back when American Airlines was actually American Airlines o so many moons ago, an extensive medical was integral component of pre-employment screening. Ditto other major carriers. ADA and other concerns about discrimination challenges caused abandonment by most employers, fallback to Class 1 medical standard only. If the minimums aren't good enough they wouldn't be the minimums?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
    Back when American Airlines was actually American Airlines o so many moons ago, an extensive medical was integral component of pre-employment screening. Ditto other major carriers. ADA and other concerns about discrimination challenges caused abandonment by most employers, fallback to Class 1 medical standard only. If the minimums aren't good enough they wouldn't be the minimums?
    The times they sure have changed. Many, many, many moons ago I was being certified as USN enlisted aircrew. One doctor was complaining to me that his personal opinion was that folks like me, that wore glasses, should not be qualified. Standards were much much tougher back then. Those standards appear to have gotten lower and lower over time.

Seems to coincide with the issue of participation trophies for all so that no one gets singled out as being any more fit or less fit than anyone else.

Oh, back in those days of which I was speaking, the speculation was that to get an interview with Delta Air Lines or other major carrier one needed to have 10,000 heavy jet hours, military flight test school experience and at least a masters degree in aeronautical engineering. Seems like today they will hire almost anyone with some body heat.

I think most employers have come to realize that a perfect human specimen does not necessarily translate to a flawless pilot.

In addition to my yearly flight physical, I have a really thorough annual physical which involves an amazing amount of testing, as my doc (also my AME) has an MDVIP practice. For my $1650/year, I get 24/7 access to my doc whether emergency or not (and of course, I'd only call him off hours if it were an emergency), no waiting for a last minute appointment, and most importantly, that annual ultra-thorough physical. According to all the blood testing, EKG, etc., I have a 90% chance of living another 10 years without any major cardiac issues. Realistically, there's still that 10% and a host of other potential killers out there.

The point is that there are no 100% guarantees, or even 95% guarantees. What I am now is what I am now, no matter whether I had that physical in February or didn't have it at all. From a biblical perspective, we have to be ready to go anytime. As a single pilot, that's a little hard to do. The best we can do is have the physicals, follow our doc's orders and advice, take our meds, don't do something stupid, and with any luck, one morning we'll wake up dead.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee