Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Basic med

O.K. here is what I was informed by my "Family doctor" She stated she had no problem with the form BUT because it required an Eye and Color exam and a Hearing exam Both items she is not "set up" for ie; she does not have the proper equipment to conduct the exam, She was unable to sign off until I got both items completed with a note from the examining Doctors, then She said there would be no problem.
    She also stated that a sports medical and a CDL exam may or may not have these tests.

So as I see it, I go and find a Medical facility that offers these exams (CDL or Sports) hopefully they will check and sign, OR I go to an Eye Doctor (exam fee) and a hearing Doctor (exam fee) then with a note attached to the med form from each Doctor I then get ANOTHER appointment with my doctor, hopefully withing a two to three week period, and have her complete the exam with the attached forms (exam fee). So my basic med now will cost almost as much as a proper 3rd class FAA exam.

Only advantage that I see is it does not go for review to the FAA. Doesn't make much sense, simple and cheaper to go to a AME and renew the 3rd class med.
    I guess the moral of this tale is Find a doctor that has the color cards and a hearing test then make them your "family doctor". I really thought this was going to help make this simple and quick, but I guess that was to much of a wish, the nearest AME to me is about a 2 1/2 drive. Yes I do live in Podunkville West Virginia!!

Have struck out 3 times today trying to find a doctor that will do this in Lakeville, MN. None had heard of it and all rejected it without even investigating. One was a family clinic, two were clinics that performed DOT exams. If any other Twin Cities area pilots are having luck, please respond.

there is a need for EAA and/or AOPA to provide a clearinghouse of docs who are doing these physicals. anyone at EAA listening?

Or, maybe the FAA should step in and say, Hey, we're trying to make this EASY so lighten' up ! What am I complaining about, I've got to do a special issuance anyway. Sigh !
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bmckinney View Post
    Have struck out 3 times today trying to find a doctor that will do this in Lakeville, MN. None had heard of it and all rejected it without even investigating. One was a family clinic, two were clinics that performed DOT exams. If any other Twin Cities area pilots are having luck, please respond.
    My colleague Mack relayed to me that My Medical Clinic in Maplewood is willing to perform BasicMed physicals. Here is their website: http://www.mymedicalclinicmn.com/.
    Tom Charpentier
    Government Relations Director
    EAA Lifetime #1082006 | Vintage #722921

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    there is a need for EAA and/or AOPA to provide a clearinghouse of docs who are doing these physicals. anyone at EAA listening?
    Loud and clear. We're working as hard as we can to provide guidance to members in these early stages of the program. Assuming your primary care provider is unwilling/unable to sign the form, we have found that a lot of applicants are having luck going to a local occupational health clinic that specializes in things like DOT physicals and other work or recreational medical sign-offs.

Another bit of standard guidance, the same that I always give to members trying to find a good local AME, is ask at your next chapter meeting/hangar flying session. Again, the program has barely been active for two weeks, but as more pilots start flying under BasicMed (we're already well north of 1,000), the infrastructure will quickly build to support it.
    Tom Charpentier
    Government Relations Director
    EAA Lifetime #1082006 | Vintage #722921

Friend of mine (88 years old) just got his basic medical taken care of but he's in great health for his age not to mention also a great pilot.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

What would be great is if the EAA guys in DC met up with the "doc in a box" lobbyists and got them on board with Basic Med.

I'm sure that American Family Care, etc., which have chains of clinics would love to capture this - it's low cost (on their end) and would open up a new stream of revenue.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

So, is this four year exam ("Basic Med") what EAA was lobbying for?
    I thought it was to be no more exams and replaced with online training.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    So, is this four year exam ("Basic Med") what EAA was lobbying for?
    I thought it was to be no more exams and replaced with online training.
    I thought it was suppose to be as easy as getting a drivers licenses. Not once have I needed to see the doctor to get my drivers license.