Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Basic med

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Oh But they care if I want to fly a 150? Does it make one dangerous or a risk to fly? Why must this be done to fly?

Tony
    Ya, it does if not detected early enough and it matastisizes into lympnods, heart, lungs, brain, other major organs. Now you are a danger and at risk to fly. Peeing into the container is no different than the single digital dance. That's to look for many other medical ailments including the detection of high blood sugar(possible diabetes or type 2 diabetes). If you surpass the threshold for this, they ground you until you can lower the level. And take the colonoscopy advice from Dale, every 5 years past 45.

Not being preachy here, just offering some good overall general health management to allow you to fly for as long as possible. None of us are getting younger and nobody gets outta here alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Ya, it does if not detected early enough and it matastisizes into lympnods, heart, lungs, brain, other major organs. Now you are a danger and at risk to fly. Peeing into the container is no different than the single digital dance. That's to look for many other medical ailments including the detection of high blood sugar(possible diabetes or type 2 diabetes). If you surpass the threshold for this, they ground you until you can lower the level. And take the colonoscopy advice from Dale, every 5 years past 45.

Not being preachy here, just offering some good overall general health management to allow you to fly for as long as possible. None of us are getting younger and nobody gets outta here alive!
    After watching a couple people go through this. By the time its gone all over the body, the last thing these people are doing is thinking of going on a recreational flight. This was my point. By the time people get this far along most are not even driving. They are to sick to get out of bed or leave the house.

To say this is being done because we worry about others health is a bunch of hog wash. If we worried about peoples health so much we would not have people who become ill, then Loose their job, loss all health insurance. Then they must fight the system for another five plus years trying to get some health coverage in the forum of Social Security Disability or Medicare. Then by the time they do get some help their disease is out of control. This is how we treat those whom become ill for no reason at all. They must fight the system before they get any help. Then its to late. As the family goes broke spending every dime they have trying to pay for a medical that they can not tell you how much it will cost. We have no idea until you get the bill. Really imagine if you mechanic told you this. people would be pis#ed. But not if it medical bills.

Don't get me started on health care in America or the lack there of.

Tony

Everything on that form in the AC came straight from the AME side of the old 8500-8 and it's medexpress later incarnation.

As a prostate cancer survivor (7+ years now since completing treatment), I have to echo FF's comments. One of the things I learned from the experience is that the cancer can kill, yes, but it can also incapacitate without a whole lot of warning. Generally speaking, there aren't any symptoms of prostate cancer that the individual feels until it suddenly hits, because it has metastasized to some other organ, including possibly the brain. The thing is, there are several treatments which work very well, if it's caught soon enough. But none of those treatments work once there are metastases.

Two really good examples. I'm one of them.
    Mine was caught because of a gradually elevating PSA--neither my regular doc (who is also my AME) nor my urologist could feel anything wrong with my prostate. But as FF says, usually the digital test catches it first, which is then confirmed with the PSA--but the ultimate confirmation is a relatively unpleasant taking of tiny biopsies to place under the microscope. Because mine was caught early enough, I've been cancer free for more than 7 years.

My former father-in-law is the other one. He was one of these he-man types, always healthy, who eschewed going to any doc for anything. I don't know what caused him to go to his doc; we weren't told, but it's a good guess that he, like many men in their late 50s or early 60s, was having trouble peeing due to prostate enlargement--it can be really unpleasant. But we were told that he had prostate cancer, that it was surgically removed, and that his post-surgical life was really unpleasant--had to wear Depends, couldn't have sex, etc. My guess is that it had also metastasized elsewhere, because he died 2 years later, at age 63.

Cancer knows no age limits. One of my Angel Flights was to return a couple and their little boy from Children's Hospital in Denver to their home in Hardin, MT after he had received a clean bill of health from cancer treatments--he was only 3 at the time, and his cancer had been discovered right after his 2nd birthday. The daughter of one of my acquaintances at church is now cancer free at age 6--her's was also discovered when she was 2. While I was receiving my radiation treatment, I became friends with a woman receiving radiation for breast cancer--she was only 32. One of my favorite correspondence friends died just recently at age 62--she was so upbeat throughout years of devastating treatment for cancer that had spread throughout her body, yet she always remained hopeful, a real light in anyone's life. A really good man, a former pastor at my church, fought melanoma cancer for several years before it took him at age 77, but he had ignored the symptoms (some odd moles) for too long.

Yet caught in time, most cancers can be treated, and in today's medical world, most treatments are successful. Not all, unfortunately, but the majority. Here's my video about "Catch It In Time", an organization that urges anyone with any kind of odd symptom to get it checked out--and no, the first scenes are not me! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4O6L60cXrY

So get yourself poked, prodded, even if it's pretty undignified. It's well worth it.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    So get yourself poked, prodded, even if it's pretty undignified.

Cary
    Happy to hear your good news survivor story. A cautionary tale for many here I'm sure.

Before my doctor does the digital dance, I tell him he has to kiss me first.

I have had the exams annually for several years, ever since my PSA rang the bell at an elevated number. first thing you learn is the PSA test is subject to many influences that can cause it to be higher than normal on any given test. a retest will be done to confirm or not. as you get older and prostates naturally enlarge, the PSA number can creep up, without there being any cancer present. what the docs look for are sharp spikes in the number. the digital exam is just another test used in conjunction with the PSA. in my latest annual exam (last week), the doc explained they have now incorporated an MRI scan that can give a very accurate look to see if there is anything that warrants further investigation (i.e. the biopsy). And yeah, the colonoscopy thing is a must do also......one of the most restful naps you will ever have!

Your prostate is not your anus, even if the DRE uses that avenue to measure it. It's like saying you mouth is your lung, just because the doctor has you breath through it while evaluating it.

So we all agree you need to have this done. But to make it a rule in order to get a PP certificate. Really.... I will never understand this. Someone 19 who wants this certificate must do this? Unneeded IMHO...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Your prostate is not your anus,
    True, but like your eyes, it's the window to a man's soul. ;>)

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    True, but like your eyes, it's the window to a man's soul. ;>)
    Speak for yourself...

Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.