Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Basic med

And if he tries for the SI and gets denied -- he's screwed.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Well, I logged here to read of all the people that took on BasicMed today. HUMM,,, no one but me or didn't I go back enough pages? Smooth sailing with my regular AME that I've seen for many years. I'm good for next four years now.

One bummer today though. Went out and changed oil in plane but rain hampered my exercising this new rule on 1st day .

AME would not do it. family doc has agreed to do it, but took some education. as some predicted, that seems it will be the way of it for awhile.

Got mine done this morning by a non-AME pilot/doctor. I suspect there will be a fairly long list of willing doctors to chose from in the next year or two.

Well I'm happy to report that I just visited my regular doctor this morning and she was already familiar with the BasicMed form and didn't bat an eye. She even "deferred" the rectal exam... ;-)

Visited my regular doctor yesterday and walked out with the signed form. Went home and took the online course. Went to the airport and flew this morning! Plus it is good twice as long as the 3rd class since I'm now 40. I'm loving this BasicMed!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Sent this to FAA help desk 8 days ago.
    The new medical ruling indicates that a Class 3 Med is limited to an aircraft that is less than 6,000 lbs. What class medical is needed for a private pilot to legally fly as PIC of a heaver AC.
    Thanks for your reply.

helpdesk@faa.gov
    Apr 29 (8 days ago)
    to me

Tom,
    MY team does not know the answer to that question. I would ask your AME and see if they can give you an answer. I will ask my management team Monday when they get back to work.

No answer as yet.

Quote Originally Posted by n743tc View Post
    Sent this to FAA help desk 8 days ago.
    The new medical ruling indicates that a Class 3 Med is limited to an aircraft that is less than 6,000 lbs. What class medical is needed for a private pilot to legally fly as PIC of a heaver AC.
    Thanks for your reply.
    helpdesk@faa.gov
    Apr 29 (8 days ago)
    to me

Tom,
    MY team does not know the answer to that question. I would ask your AME and see if they can give you an answer. I will ask my management team Monday when they get back to work.

No answer as yet.

The BasicMed rule is an alternative to the existing 3rd class medical rules for aircraft 6000 lbs or less and with six seats or fewer (and <18,000 ft MSL and <250 KIAS). For aircraft not fitting that description, the normal third class medical can still be used for all noncommercial operations.
    Tom Charpentier
    Government Relations Director
    EAA Lifetime #1082006 | Vintage #722921

Basic Med seems to be very unpopular with the medical profession here in southern Oregon or maybe they just don't know much about it. The AME that I've gone to for several years will not participate because he feels it lowers the standards. My primary care provider belongs to a major medical practice whose medical director has turned thumbs down at least for now. It's possible that their Occupational Medicine might be willing to sign on, but that wouldn't be like working with my personal physician. I'd really like to transfer to Basic Med, but the doors have closed and I don't know how to open them. I could look for a doctor that is in private practice but then I'm starting over and I'm limited to those that accept Medicare.
    Obviously, some are having no problem with moving to Basic Med, but that's not the case in our area and I don't know how widespread the "opt-out" is. What has AOPA and EAA done to educate the medical community and what can people like me do to try to change policy? How can we find out which, if any, physicians and medical practices in our area are willing to participate? Not like I can post a query in a medical chat room. Congrats to those whose doctors have signed on, but that doesn't seem to be the general attitude in our area. What's going on in other parts of the country?

My doctor on the central coast in California just signed my Basicmed checklist. I've been seeing him about 5 years. No questions asked.
    Joel Marketello