Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Basic med

Well color me disappointed--I'm a military retiree and asked my PCM at the off base Military Treatment Facility. (aka clinic) we use and I was ttold they have no plans to participate in the BasicMed program. If any of you mil retirees get a different answer from your PCM I'd like to know.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Over the years I've held a commercial (CDL), school and passenger bus license and never had a problem getting the medical part signed off. So what's the difference (other than it says "aviation")?.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Quote Originally Posted by L16 Pilot View Post
    Over the years I've held a commercial (CDL), school and passenger bus license and never had a problem getting the medical part signed off. So what's the difference (other than it says "aviation")?.
    It says aviation.......... ;-)

If one reads both the AOPA guide and the examination form itself, it's important to stress the "motor vehicle" part.

This is what the doctor is actually signing his name to:

In accordance with section 2307(b)(2)(C)(iv), of the FAA Extension, Safety, and Security Act of 2016 (Public Law 114-190), I certify
    that I discussed all items on this checklist with the individual during my examination, discussed any medications the individual is taking
    that could interfere with their ability to safely operate an aircraft or motor vehicle, and performed an examination that included all of the
    items on this checklist. I certify that I am not aware of any medical condition that, as presently treated, could interfere with the
    individual's ability to safely operate an aircraft.
    It's basically a DOT exam, except it's for the FAA instead. Do the online portion, find a patient mill where they do a lot of things, including DOT and company physicals, and don't freak out over it. Most doctors in clinics that do this sort of stuff aren't weirded out that it's an FAA exam instead of a DOT or other company exam. They know that "as presently treated" is their get-out-of-jail card, and have the checklist provided by the patient to back them up.

However, it's easy to overstate the reforms. If one develops a condition that requires a Special Issuance for medical (such as a heart attack), the pilot has to go through the nutroll of getting it through an AME/FAA. The good news is that once the special issuance is granted, it doesn't expire and the Basic Med exam will cover it (so long as one's condition doesn't change).
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

just tried to sched a Basic Med with my usual AME. he will not do them, citing the liability. seems to be the poison pill that was inserted into this thing. oh, well.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    just tried to sched a Basic Med with my usual AME. he will not do them, citing the liability. seems to be the poison pill that was inserted into this thing. oh, well.
    An AME may end up being the last resort when finding a doctor for the BasicMed exam. I've been told that their liability coverage is tied to the FAA and since the BasicMed exam is not a Class III exam the FAA protection doesn't apply. This is probably going to make AME's a bit nervous, even those in general practice.

However, a "normal" physician will have an umbrella of liability coverage that protects them from a wide range of exposure. Your best option is most likely going to be a doctor that customarily offers occupational exams such as DOT, drug tests, etc. These services are often offered in walk-in clinics.
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 04-27-2017 at 09:30 AM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Here again I don't know what the medical community is getting so tight about. I just looked at the Wisconsin requirements for school bus drivers (form) they routinely sign off on and it's probably less stringent than the "Basic Med". I'd say the majority of school bus drivers in our district are near or above 70. I was 74 when I retired and had no problem passing the medical requirements. As a side note: blood pressure not to exceed 180/105 . Overall probably more liability hauling a bus load of kids rather than flying a 172, etc.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Update!

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    Well color me disappointed--I'm a military retiree and asked my PCM at the off base Military Treatment Facility. (aka clinic) we use and I was ttold they have no plans to participate in the BasicMed program. If any of you mil retirees get a different answer from your PCM I'd like to know.
    So I followed up with my MTF (clinic) to find out why they were declining to participate (DoD policy etc). I pointed out the type of physical I would be requesting under BasicMed they were already performing (like sports physicals). I used the following verbiage out of the AOPA Pilots & Physicians Guide "the examination itself is just like a wellness exam, similar to those conducted for high school athletics, scuba diving certification, or for a U.S. Department of Transportation commercial driver’s license. Conducting this examination is similar to determining if an individual can safely operate a car, truck, motorcycle, boat or other motor vehicle" and I posted the 4 steps they would use to actually perform the exam -- in my original e-mail I had only posted the links, not any specific info.

So long story short, this time the Clinic Director reviewed my request and reversed their original position and they will now perform the exam!!! Now my current Class III is only 8 months old so I won't be testing this anytime soon, but I'm hopeful other retirees will benefit.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I'm putting together an article for our chapter newsletter and hoping for some clarification. The AOPA website states the following...... "If you have had a special issuance medical within the 10-year lookback period and your medical status is unchanged, you should be able to fly under BasicMed provided you meet all the other qualifications, including being under the treatment of a physician for your medical condition. If you develop a new condition that requires a special issuance medical certificate, you will have to apply for a one-time special issuance for that condition."

So my question. Assume the individual had a valid 3rd class medical that expired 5 years ago (within the 10 year lookback period) and has never been denied. A couple of years ago the individual had a heart issue which required stents (a condition that previously required a special issuance).

Does the individual qualify for BasicMed or is a one-time special issuance required for this new condition from the FAA?
    Last edited by Marty Santic; 04-27-2017 at 04:38 PM.

Did he get a special issuance for it?

If so, he can use BasicMed.
    If he never went through the FAA for one, then no, he can't.

That's the "bad" of it. If one develops a condition that requires a special issuance, they have to go through the nutroll of getting a special from the FAA.
    The "good" of it is that it's "one and done" for that condition - so long as it doesn't change. If the doctor under basic med is okay with the condition, no extra tests required for it to be continued.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.