Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Basic med

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    So, is this four year exam ("Basic Med") what EAA was lobbying for?
    I thought it was to be no more exams and replaced with online training.
    Oh, I agree Bill, basic med fell flat on it's face and it's mostly due to another alphabet organization with an ego so big they thought they could do anything.

Is EAA done with it and moving on? Or is EAA still pushing to eliminate the medical?

completed BasicMed this a.m. (yipee!) It wasn't what we had hoped for but it is good for me for now. a word of advice...when you take the AOPA online course (after seeing the doc), recommend take notes. some questions are easy but some can be more difficult. although AOPA authored the course/exam, some of the questions smell very much like FAA-speak. and the course does take awhile...at least for me.

LOL, I took the online course to flesh out the presentation I'm giving on it tonight and scored an 85%....a couple of them are sort of FAA-speak, as mikey said, and of the "pick the BEST answer" sort.

I don't have much skin in this game, as I'm a Sport Pilot, so I kind of just clicked through the darned thing.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Remember, it is still early days...going to have to be some bugs to get out of it. Sport Pilot/Light Sport was the same way. Takes a while to get the kinks out.

This may not be the program that we wanted, but from watching things from the sidelines, I think it was the best we could get. Don't forget, the original concept was heavily tinkered-on (and tinkled-on) by members of Congress, responding to big lobby groups like AMA and ALPA. It's not EAA's or AOPA's fault that we didn't get everything we wanted (or everything THEY wanted).

Keep in mind that this sort of thing bootstraps. We probably wouldn't have gotten BasicMed if Sport Pilot hadn't shown that a reduced-medical flight concept could be safe. Give it a few years, and EAA/AOPA might be able to attack the problem again, using data produced by BasicMed.

Ron Wanttaja

Ron said the magic word: data.

To be honest, there just isn't any good data on how medically safe the Sport Pilot rules are. Lots of things that can be inferred, but no hard data points that one can use to say the Class III medical has served its purpose and needs to be ended.

We know, for example, that some Private Pilots have taken advantage of Sport Pilot rules and flown without a (then) current medical. But we don't know how many, or how many hours they've flown, or anything one can slap down and say "here is the analysis based on good information."
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Motorglider pilots have flown for decades without medicals. So that data should be out there.

Followup to my post from a few days ago. I did find a doctor in my area who was comfortable doing the BasicMed. Went in this morning, completed the exam, and then completed the online AOPA course and I am good to go.

The reason this got screwed up was that Sen. Inhofe "went a bridge too far". Trying to get pilots to be able to fly IFR, VFR, day or night, in anything up to 6000 pounds was silly. How many of us fly twins like a Baron, 310, or Aztec? Had he used common sense, and tried to limit the privileges to the Cessna 182 class of airplane and below, and maybe even limit it to day VFR, it would have served the great majority of us. But, that's not what happened. I suggest that we now start shooting for expanding the driver's license medical privileges to those exercising recreational pilot privileges - basically Piper Archer, Grumman Tiger, and lesser airplanes. That, again, would cover the great majority of us. So, for now, I'll still fly my Champ.

I just read in the February Sport Aviation where Jack Pelton said that this quarter century fight against the medical is over now and let's celebrate because EAA got everything it wanted.

I don't get it.