Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Basic med

Basic med

read on another forum that your doc will have to fill out a 36 page form (in addition) to the form you bring and that liability concerns will be taking a lot of docs out of the picture. scare tactics? not selling my LSA yet.

Not sure where 36 pages is coming from, other than the companion AC to the rule (https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/...ar/AC_68-1.pdf), which gives some explanation and guidance regarding the rule, is 35 pages in its entirety. Appendix A, which contains the forms you bring in and your doctor fills out, is a total of 8 pages (currently in draft and will be for a few more weeks while it goes through a procedural review; it is not expected to change at all). The doctor fills out just over 1 page worth of material.

As far as liability concerns go, you should start by talking to your doctor. You can send them the draft form from the above-linked AC (again, Appendix A is the only thing you and they will need to fill out). If they have an issue with signing the form, let us know and we will do everything we can to help you work the problem.
    Tom Charpentier
    Government Relations Director
    EAA Lifetime #1082006 | Vintage #722921

There is an article in this months EAA magazine on this subject of what your doctor must do or inspect in order for you to fly. When I saw " anus " I thought. I need my butt probed to fly? Really I don't need my butt probed to drive my car. This new medical reform was pushed as it being as easy to get your medical as it is to get your drivers license. Not once has any doctor stuck anything up my anus so I could drive a car, truck, motorcycle, end loader, bucket truck, Farm Tractor or semi truck. But my butt needs probed to fly a 150.
    Sounds like a pain in the anus to me.
    Tony

Yes, people have had a good laugh (or cry) about the "anus" item on the checklist. It's actually on the 3rd class exam too (https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...ech/item39/et/), but the guidance is to not do the "digital exam" unless the applicant requests it, otherwise to conduct "direct observation" or review "history." I don't know about you, but my AME usually asks some vague question about it and moves on.

Similarly, the "anus" item on the BasicMed checklist has the note "not including digital examination." Unless you have, I don't know, maybe hemorrhoids so bad you can barely walk, everyone should get through this exam point pretty quickly.
    Tom Charpentier
    Government Relations Director
    EAA Lifetime #1082006 | Vintage #722921

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Charpentier View Post
    Yes, people have had a good laugh (or cry) about the "anus" item on the checklist. It's actually on the 3rd class exam too (https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...ech/item39/et/), but the guidance is to not do the "digital exam" unless the applicant requests it, otherwise to conduct "direct observation" or review "history." I don't know about you, but my AME usually asks some vague question about it and moves on.

Similarly, the "anus" item on the BasicMed checklist has the note "not including digital examination." Unless you have, I don't know, maybe hemorrhoids so bad you can barely walk, everyone should get through this exam point pretty quickly.
    While I understand all this..No one ever asked for this in 50 years of me driving my car, truck, tractor, semi, boat, jet ski, ect.. I thought this bill was started in the first place to get away from the third class medical and the requirements of this medical? To say it should be easy to get through. You should be saying we should not have to do this.

Tony

But then again I could be wrong. Maybe we have had pilots die in flight because of a hemorrhoids then kill everyone on board? My point...what is the deal with wanting to probe my anus so I can fly PP. Are they trying to prove something or maybe making a statement? What is up in my anus that will make me an unworthy pilot? That is what I am asking. Can they find something to make one not be able to get this certificate doing this or not be worthy of this certificate? If the answer is No. Then why do the test? If the answer is Yes, what is it and how does this make one not worthy? I just don't understand the reason for the test. Not trying to argue or be a smart anus...lol

Tony

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I just don't understand the reason for the test. Not trying to argue or be a smart anus...lol

Tony
    Here's your chance to become informed and educated. As a male of the species I am surprised you don't know why. Getting the fickle finger of fate has NOTHING to do with your proficiency or worthiness as a pilot. But it might save your life. It's to check your prostate for cancer. It takes .0005 seconds. It is the least invasive and most reliable method of checking.

You can also have a PSA done as part of any blood work analysis but it's not as reliable so you should do both. Any man over the age of 45 should have the finger up the ass every year as part of your yearly non-pilot medical examination. Prostate cancer is the simplest cancer to detect and successfully treat if caught early enough. Talk to your doctor. Better still talk to your wife and kids, they probably would like to see you around for as long as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Here's your chance to become informed and educated. As a male of the species I am surprised you don't know why. Getting the fickle finger of fate has NOTHING to do with your proficiency or worthiness as a pilot. But it might save your life. It's to check your prostate for cancer. It takes .0005 seconds. It is the least invasive and most reliable method of checking.

You can also have a PSA done as part of any blood work analysis but it's not as reliable so you should do both. Any man over the age of 45 should have the finger up the ass every year as part of your yearly non-pilot medical examination. Prostate cancer is the simplest cancer to detect and successfully treat if caught early enough. Talk to your doctor. Better still talk to your wife and kids, they probably would like to see you around for as long as possible.
    Oh I understand why they do it. I do not understand how this can make one not worthy of a PP certificate? No one asked for this to drive ones car and no one cares if I have this when I drive my car. But they care if I want to fly a 150? Does it make one dangerous or a risk to fly? Why must this be done to fly?

Tony

Not long ago a friend of mine was busy working on Ercoupes with a man who was one of the go to guys for these airplanes. It was this man and his father who people went to for help on these airplanes. A year before his dad passes. Then a year later he passes. My buddy said he was working with him and he told him he could not shake this cold or whatever it was. His wife became ill with the flu and he thought he had this and could not shake it. Went to the doctor and a few weeks later everyone was mourning his loss. Very sad indeed. Prostate cancer took him. I believe it took his father also but not sure about that.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Not long ago a friend of mine was busy working on Ercoupes with a man who was one of the go to guys for these airplanes. It was this man and his father who people went to for help on these airplanes. A year before his dad passes. Then a year later he passes. My buddy said he was working with him and he told him he could not shake this cold or whatever it was. His wife became ill with the flu and he thought he had this and could not shake it. Went to the doctor and a few weeks later everyone was mourning his loss. Very sad indeed. Prostate cancer took him. I believe it took his father also but not sure about that.
    Sure, that's an excellent illustration of why your regular annual checkup from your doc should include screening for prostate cancer and a lot of other things. If you're over 50 or so you should get a colonoscopy every few years as well. See your dermatologist for any odd skin rashes or unusual moles, etc.

But none of that really has much to do with fitness to fly, now does it?
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.